I assume these are spirochetes?

Have problems identifying an organism? Ask for help here.
macnmotion

I assume these are spirochetes?

#1 Post by macnmotion » Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:01 pm

I believe these are spirochetes. Water sample from a banana tree stump in my yard. FOV: 240 x 135 microns. Is there any way to know if these are dangerous?

https://youtu.be/PmA--26hu5s

LouiseScot

Re: I assume these are spirochetes?

#2 Post by LouiseScot » Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:36 pm

macnmotion wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:01 pm
I believe these are spirochetes. Water sample from a banana tree stump in my yard. FOV: 240 x 135 microns. Is there any way to know if these are dangerous?

I'm not sure but I think it's more likely a species of nematode, but it's hard to gauge the size without a scale bar.

Louise
A Nikon CF plan 20x; A Swift 380T; A DIY infinity corrected focus rail system with a 40x/0.65 Olympus Plan, a 10x/0.30 Amscope Plan Fluor, and a 20x/0.75 Nikon Plan Apo

macnmotion

#3 Post by macnmotion » Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:04 am

LouiseScot wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:36 pm
macnmotion wrote:

I'm not sure but I think it's more likely a species of nematode, but it's hard to gauge the size without a scale bar.

Louise
There is a scale bar in the bottom right corner, hard to see I know. As I mentioned in the original post, the FOV is 240x135 microns.

These don't move like any nematodes I've ever seen.

Alexander

#4 Post by Alexander » Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:49 am

This things are too long to be spirochetes.

macnmotion

#5 Post by macnmotion » Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:15 am

Alexander wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:49 am
This things are too long to be spirochetes.
What's the normal size for spirochetes? -- I'm seeing numbers from as low as 5 microns to as high as 250-500 microns in length. Based on the vertical FOV of the video, which is 135 microns, the vertically-stretched organism about 2 seconds into the video is approximately 75 microns in length. Any idea what else it would be? I'd love to properly ID these.

The organisms in my video appear to move similarly to those in this video I found on YouTube: https://youtu.be/cXYfT5hSLoQ -- the one in the YouTube video seems to be about 30 microns in length. Another video shows something similar to what I captured and about the same length or even longer, at about 20 seconds into this video: https://youtu.be/Vf75keToQ4I

Alexander

#6 Post by Alexander » Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:46 am

The typical spirochetes like Borrelia, Brachyspira, Leptospira or Treponema are all between 5 and 20 µm. That is already quite long for a bacterium.

Maybe there are longer ones but I have never seen one.

LouiseScot

#7 Post by LouiseScot » Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:54 am

macnmotion wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:04 am
LouiseScot wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:36 pm
macnmotion wrote:

Louise
There is a scale bar in the bottom right corner, hard to see I know. As I mentioned in the original post, the FOV is 240x135 microns.

These don't move like any nematodes I've ever seen.
Ah sorry - I somehow missed the fov! But I can't see the scale bar on youtube - it's covered. Having looked into it a bit more, they could be free-living (not dangerous) spirochaetes which apparently can grow up to 500um - who knew?!

Louise
A Nikon CF plan 20x; A Swift 380T; A DIY infinity corrected focus rail system with a 40x/0.65 Olympus Plan, a 10x/0.30 Amscope Plan Fluor, and a 20x/0.75 Nikon Plan Apo

macnmotion

#8 Post by macnmotion » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:54 am

Hi Louise, Yeah, my scale indicator sucked!! today I made it easier to see (I hope) for use in future videos.

We've had terrible flooding rains for the past few months (I'm in Bangkok), and I always worry about what's left in the yard, especially with dogs here. I was surprised to find these in the stump of a banana tree. Fortunately, the rainy season is ending and everything in the yard is drying up.

LouiseScot

#9 Post by LouiseScot » Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:19 am

macnmotion wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:54 am
Hi Louise, Yeah, my scale indicator sucked!! today I made it easier to see (I hope) for use in future videos.

We've had terrible flooding rains for the past few months (I'm in Bangkok), and I always worry about what's left in the yard, especially with dogs here. I was surprised to find these in the stump of a banana tree. Fortunately, the rainy season is ending and everything in the yard is drying up.
Hiya
I've been to Thailand a couple of times (Pattaya, not Bangkok) - it's never cold like here in Glasgow! Used to love going out on the hot evenings and drinking cold lager ha ha.
Those organisms did look odd to me. They did seem to resemble baby C. elegans which made me think they could be a species of nematodes. There are bacteria called Spirillum volutans which are spiral shaped and can be up to 60um. However, they are rigid which your specimens aren't. When I did some further research, it appeared that some spirochaetes could be up to 500um i.e. half a millimetre! I never knew any bacteria could be so big!

Louise

macnmotion

#10 Post by macnmotion » Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:21 am

Leave it to Thailand to be the home of 1/2mm bacteria :-)

apochronaut

#11 Post by apochronaut » Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:40 am

Spirochaetes and Spirilla are different things. Possibly what you are encountering are spirilla, which are common in stagnant water and not considered pathogenic.

Stagnant fresh water will sprout all kinds of highly motile long bacteria, some of which exhibit a corkscrew motion.

LouiseScot

#12 Post by LouiseScot » Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:35 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:40 am
Spirochaetes and Spirilla are different things. Possibly what you are encountering are spirilla, which are common in stagnant water and not considered pathogenic.

Stagnant fresh water will sprout all kinds of highly motile long bacteria, some of which exhibit a corkscrew motion.
Spirilla have rigid bodies. The OP's sample does more resemble the spirochaetes in the YT videos he posted in #5

Louise

macnmotion

#13 Post by macnmotion » Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:50 pm

apochronaut wrote:

A few weeks ago when I first started, I found a tiny corkscrew organism from the same banana tree stump. It wasn't very well defined, I was pushing the limits of my microscope, but I thought it was a spirochete. Now that I've seen the organisms I posted in this thread, I believe that first one a few weeks ago was a spirilla -- it didn't have the jerky movement like the ones here, and it was rigid unlike these. These latest corkscrews are much better defined, both because I used an oil objective and because since last time I discovered I could set my camera to use a crop of the sensor, giving me a size boost.

apochronaut

#14 Post by apochronaut » Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:02 pm

LouiseScot wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:35 pm
apochronaut wrote:

Spirilla have rigid bodies. The OP's sample does more resemble the spirochaetes in the YT videos he posted in #5

Louise
Morphological charcteristics when it comes to bacteria however need to be kept flexible. Bacterial monomorphism as a useful theory is quickly dying out and becoming increasingly irrelevant. Both Knaysi and Bisset ascribed flexibility in some cases to Spirillum and no doubt others have. Treponema Palidum , which is considered a spirochaete, has been shown to be very flat in cross section, at least in those samples : more of an obstacle course form than a spiral.

What does happen under highly volatile climatic conditions is that numerous survival mrchanisms come to the fore and the standards based on lab study can quickly go out the window, so should sticking to a rigid morphology doctrine.

Another genus that should be considered are the Flavobacterium, which includes many very long species, some of which move very quickly in a corkscrew fashion. I have seen some similar to that illustrated at various times coming from warm yucky water in the summer.

macnmotion

#15 Post by macnmotion » Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:44 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:02 pm

Morphological charcteristics when it comes to bacteria however need to be kept flexible. Bacterial monomorphism as a useful theory is quickly dying out and becoming increasingly irrelevant. Both Knaysi and Bisset ascribed flexibility in some cases to Spirillum and no doubt others have. Treponema Palidum , which is considered a spirochaete, has been shown to be very flat in cross section, at least in those samples : more of an obstacle course form than a spiral.

What does happen under highly volatile climatic conditions is that numerous survival mrchanisms come to the fore and the standards based on lab study can quickly go out the window, so should sticking to a rigid morphology doctrine.

Another genus that should be considered are the Flavobacterium, which includes many very long species, some of which move very quickly in a corkscrew fashion. I have seen some similar to that illustrated at various times coming from warm yucky water in the summer.
Excellent information, thank you.

samt

#16 Post by samt » Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:30 am

Hi,

thanks for the thread. I observed yesterday what seems to be the very same as yours. Also moving as corkscrew, but also grouping itself into a wider spiral.

Did you reached any conclusion regarding the ID?

Sam

WWWW

#17 Post by WWWW » Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:39 am

Beautiful spirochaetes, well done !

macnmotion

#18 Post by macnmotion » Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:03 pm

samt wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:30 am
Hi,

thanks for the thread. I observed yesterday what seems to be the very same as yours. Also moving as corkscrew, but also grouping itself into a wider spiral.

Did you reached any conclusion regarding the ID?

Sam
I'm of the mind that mine were spirochetes, and yours look just the same as mine did. I also shot with a 40x objective (because I didn't image through the eyepiece I can't identify the magnification as 400x, but the result would be somewhat similar to the size you captured). Nice video!

samt

#19 Post by samt » Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:40 pm

Thanks for your answers! So spirochetes they are, I'll read about them.

WWWW

#20 Post by WWWW » Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:52 pm

@ macnmotion,

I'm very sorry. I saw your video on my smartphone and couldn't see the spirochaetes. Now looking again on my computer (bigger screen) I do see the very long spirochaetes !!