Another unknown ciliate

Have problems identifying an organism? Ask for help here.
NachoBen

Another unknown ciliate

#1 Post by NachoBen » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:27 pm

Hello everyone. Today I want to introduce you to an unknown ciliate that I have just found.

Here is the video: https://youtu.be/sqTFP3wl9wQ

As you can see, the oral apparatus is very characteristic and, after searching Kudo's and Kahl's books, I thought it could be a species of the genus Lacrymaria. However, if it is a contracted form of Lacrymaria, I can't see the characteristic striations.

As always, thank you all so much for any help, no matter how small.

Greetings.

Dennis

Re: Another unknown ciliate

#2 Post by Dennis » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:44 pm

Nacho Ben,

That thing scares me !
Last edited by Dennis on Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce Taylor

#3 Post by Bruce Taylor » Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:37 am

It is a species of Phialina, in the family Lacrymariidae. Kahl placed members of that genus in Lacrymaria, but in the 80s Foissner revived Phialina for "neckless" lacrymariids. Don't be surprised if you have trouble finding images of a similar-looking species of Phialina. Their cell shapes can be quite variable, and it's not unusual for them to "plump up", when feeding.

NachoBen

#4 Post by NachoBen » Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:55 am

Thank you once more, Bruce! I have not ever read about this genus. Anyway, I am glad I got near to Kahl's opinión. :)

Regards.

Bruce Taylor wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:37 am
It is a species of Phialina, in the family Lacrymariidae. Kahl placed members of that genus in Lacrymaria, but in the 80s Foissner revived Phialina for "neckless" lacrymariids. Don't be surprised if you have trouble finding images of a similar-looking species of Phialina. Their cell shapes can be quite variable, and it's not unusual for them to "plump up", when feeding.