Kinda freaked out

Have problems identifying an organism? Ask for help here.
Mandintine

Kinda freaked out

#1 Post by Mandintine » Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:48 pm

https://youtu.be/v1Lyb3JRbZY

My wife says these look like naegleri fowler the brain eating amoeba. I told her that was highly unlikely since its not really warm out and amoeba kinda look homogenous. These were in a vase I left outside full of water for a few weeks her in middle Tennessee. Can anyone confirm what type of amoeba these might be?

charlie g

Re: Kinda freaked out

#2 Post by charlie g » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:15 am

Hello, you seem to have encountered an: 'enriched culture of an amoeba morphotype''...I see lot's of Chilomonas paramecium flagelates in your image-captured sample. What is the history of that richly populated water sample you report on? Waters from an outdoor waters source? Waters after a store purchased flower bunch (?Valentines Day flowers?) ?

Did you somehow isolate this enriched -culture from the smelly , film covered, bacterial stew..which is the usual setting for high density of Chilomonas flagelates?

It is remarkable the density of amoebae ( hence term: enriched culture)...in your reported video...yet I see no sense of thick throngs of bacteria which Chilomonas species often are encountered within.

Can you share with forum the history/ the source of the waters you report to us on.

Thanks for an interesting 'enriched-culture/ a 'bloom' of these amoebae. charlie g.

Mandintine

#3 Post by Mandintine » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:17 pm

It's really interesting because it looks as though the amoebas and bacteria are one giant mass. The way I made this was I had an old succulent stem and some valentines flowers that were going bad, I put them in the flowers vase and set it outside. Maybe 3 weeks. I live in TN USA, and it got kinda warm during those weeks. Maybe up to 75F. I can take another sample today and post more pictures/videos to see if anything has changed!

Mandintine

#4 Post by Mandintine » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:20 pm

Just to clarify there was certainly a high density of bacteria. Maybe I can take better images since I got a new scope. These were actually taken from plaques/films that were sitting on top of the water.

Mandintine

#5 Post by Mandintine » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:33 am

Unfortunately we had alot of rain the past few days. I'll let it have some time to grow and see if I can't get images. Only thing in the culture I can find is crypomonads and bacterium.

WesPau

#6 Post by WesPau » Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:07 pm

They appear to be from the genus naegleria, but they are definitely not naegleria fowleri. Their movement differs from naegleria fowleri as they do not branch out at all. Sadly I do not know the species as if you look up the genus all that comes up is naegleria fowleri, even if you look up a different species.