help id a ciliate

Have problems identifying an organism? Ask for help here.
Mandintine

help id a ciliate

#1 Post by Mandintine » Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:41 pm

I found this specimen in a fresh water source that i sample often. It's quite small in comparison to say a paramecium. I toggle between 40X and 60x objectives. the first thing I noticed about it was the strange geometric hard lines that make up the cell. You can skip to different parts of the video and see it in different magnifications. its clearly ciliated and appears to be feeding on bacteria. my first thought was it could have been deformed but I just wanted to get a few opinions as I have never seen a ciliate even shaped like this before. One last thing i noted was it has a green "hue" but i am unsure if this is just chromatic aberration as I don't have special objective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xb0DZzmm-U

Bruce Taylor

Re: help id a ciliate

#2 Post by Bruce Taylor » Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:35 am

It's definitely damaged. It looks like a fragment of a heterotrich (Spirostomomum, Stentor, etc.)

NachoBen

#3 Post by NachoBen » Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:35 pm

I often come across teratologic specimens like this in my freshwater samples, mostly in Spirostomum rich communities.

Mandintine

#4 Post by Mandintine » Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:43 am

ahh so my original thoughts were correct. this culture was full of spirostomum. I had a hunch it looked similar. I noticed when I tapped the microscope there was no "twitch" reaction. so I'm assuming the cellular damage probably affected the mechanisms involving calcium channels (if I remember correctly, that's how that works)