Anthropod?

Have problems identifying an organism? Ask for help here.
marknen

Anthropod?

#1 Post by marknen » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:15 pm

Hello folks! I hope everyone is doing well as we approach the New Year.

I'm still playing around with my microscope a lot, so please have patience with me as I learn how to use it and also ask for some ID help. I have a Carson eFlex MM-840, btw.

This object was photographed at 300X in a standing water located in upside down potters in a garden.

Could it be that it is some sort of anthropod, like perhaps a water flea? I'd be interested to hear any thoughts!
Attachments
standingwater12 - Copy.jpg
standingwater12 - Copy.jpg (158.59 KiB) Viewed 3158 times

gekko

Re: Anthropod?

#2 Post by gekko » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:38 pm

Welcome, marknen, to the forum. I think it would be hard for anyone to guess what the picture shows. I hope you won't mind my suggesting that you first learn how to use your microscope so you can post better pictures. For starters, you can watch this short video if you haven't already:
http://www.microbehunter.com/using-the- ... focussing/

marknen

#3 Post by marknen » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:48 pm

gekko wrote:Welcome, marknen, to the forum. I think it would be hard for anyone to guess what the picture shows. I hope you won't mind my suggesting that you first learn how to use your microscope so you can post better pictures. For starters, you can watch this short video if you haven't already:
http://www.microbehunter.com/using-the- ... focussing/
Thanks for the suggestion. I watched that video, but it seems there's next to nothing that can carry over to my setup. I have a handheld monocular microscope with two controls: focus and brightness.

gekko

#4 Post by gekko » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:50 pm

I've checked out your microscope and I see what you mean. I don't think that it is suitable for what you are trying to do. You might try looking at larger stuff (for example, insects and the like) using the lower range of magnification. You might also experiment with adding a stage so you can put your sample on a slide or a slide substitute, and illuminate it from below. The stage could be made out of a thin white diffusing plastic material, or it could be a piece of glass (for example from a small picture frame) and add a diffuser under the stage. Perhaps someone with better ideas will chip in.
My opinion, for what it is worth, is that, given your interest, I think it would be a good idea to ultimately get a real microscope (a stereo microscope if you are interested mainly in insects and relatively large items, or a "biological" microscope if you are interested mainly in the smaller pond water algae and protozoa.

cpsTN

#5 Post by cpsTN » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:31 am

Marknen: I agree with gekko's posts about what you're trying to do. He shouldn't be condescending while doing it, but his advice is right. A stereo scope WOULD be perfect for what you are posting here. Have you tried viewing this specimen with the lower power of 75x? Although 75x would still be too much for most stereo scopes, that's what you currently have. I have the SE305 stereo scope from Amscope, and it was only about $140 and comes in two designs. My compound is a monocular that was about the same price, although I'll probably upgrade that one soon. Feel free to PM me with questions.
Charles Sands
Murfreesboro, TN 37129

MICROSCOPES:
AO 110
...objectives, infinity:
10x plan #1021
45x achro #1116
50x plan, oil iris #1016
100x plan, oil #1024

Amscope SE305, Stereo
...objectives: 1x, 3x
...EPs: 5x, 10x, 15x