B&L Stereozoom SZ7 accessiories

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
Scoper

B&L Stereozoom SZ7 accessiories

#1 Post by Scoper » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:37 pm

On a B&L SZ7 the accessory lenses use a different mounting system than the other scopes of the SZ series.

Has anyone offered an adapter that allows more commonly available accessory lenses to be used on this scope?

Also are any adapters that allow a LED light ring to be attached to the SZ7?

Finally has anyone resolved which accessory lenses work on the SZ7 other than the unobtainable SZ7 lenses?

Thanks

Scarodactyl

Re: B&L Stereozoom SZ7 accessiories

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:39 am

They're not totally impossible to get. What magnification are you after? The sz7 is pretty sifferent from the others optically.

Scoper

#3 Post by Scoper » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:57 am

At this time I would be likely looking for a 1.5-2x lens to push the SZ7 upper range.

Actually I am more interested in knowing if other SZ auxiliary lenses work with the SZ7.

Also having an adapter that allows other commonly accessories (lenses/LED rings) to be mounted to the scope would be very useful. I have spent years waiting for the rare bit to surface for older equipment..it is getting old.. so chasing a unobtainable over priced SZ7 accessory. As a designer I have a very dim view of manufacturers using odd interfaces to further their private agendas (the Lightening interface on the Apple iPhone comes to mind).

For those who own a 3D printer, I would think there would be a market for SZ line of adapters/converters.

Scarodactyl

#4 Post by Scarodactyl » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:02 am

In this case there is a legitimate reason for the mount. The SZ7 has like double the reolution of other SZ family members and a fairly different optical system--its max NA of 0.2 handily beats Leica's current offerings in the series (and was equal to the recently discontinued S Apo). A normal SZ lens will not give desired performance, and the bipin mount allows quick mounting and dismounting without any unscrewing.
I have a ring light mount for the SZ7 that might physically allow attaching other sz accessories. I will have to check. I probably also have a couple sz aux lenses.

BramHuntingNematodes

#5 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:04 am

I have tried to see if the .5 lens from the regular line would work on the sz7 and it was unsuccessful. It may be that the different attachment points were introduced to prevent mixing the lenses.

The 2x sz7 is decently common, and you could probably find one for around $50 with a bit of patience
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination