My Digital Microscope

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
Greg Howald

My Digital Microscope

#1 Post by Greg Howald » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:13 am

I recently purchased an Amscope M150 monocular scope. It is very small and kind of hard for me to work with. At close to the same time I bought a little digital microscope. Its nothing to write home about either. Then my Gyro Gearloose head started working with good results.
So far I have only tested it up to the 40x objective level but images are clear and sharp. The camera takes photos and videos. Its kinda cool.
Attachments
my word.jpg
my word.jpg (82.26 KiB) Viewed 2679 times

DonSchaeffer

Re: My Digital Microscope

#2 Post by DonSchaeffer » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:26 am

Is this a compound microscope with a digital camera? Digital microscopes are usually very simple lens arrangements and rely on digital magnification.

Greg Howald

#3 Post by Greg Howald » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:34 am

I believe it is more of a digital camera. It has incremental zoom in four steps. But in this particular setting I was pleased with the results.
Greg

Plasmid

#4 Post by Plasmid » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:04 am

I've consider a set up like this, or mounting a small 20 inch tv on the wall permanently connected to a camera but wouldn't know how to record.Is the monitor a standalone component one could purchase? Can I ask about what appears to be the lamp on the right ? Do you use it for different light angles?

Greg Howald

#5 Post by Greg Howald » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:43 pm

Under the 'introduce Yourself' topic see my post 'Reintroduction from Greg'.
My scopes are mounted on a Lazy Susan. The light you see is for incidental lighting primarily for use with the petrographic scope.
The camera mounted on the microscope is a cheap digital microscope I bought last month. It basically has two optical focal points and four step zoom. As magnification goes up the screen becomes more pixelated. It holds a SIM card and stands alone to take photos and videos with a built in microphone also.
I made an adaptor to mount it to the scope.
It works pretty well and is better than trying to look through one little eyepiece. This was a fun experiment.
One more experiment with it will be to make the tube longer. If I can do that I might be able to set the digital scope at one level of magnification, and then be able to determine actual overall magnification levels. If I can do that I might make the arrangement permanent.
Greg