Motic / Zeiss condenser

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
Saul

Motic / Zeiss condenser

#1 Post by Saul » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:47 pm

Got Motic (as per ebay listing description) condenser:

After couple weeks I saw another same condenser listing, which states that it is a Zeiss Primo Star condenser.
Mistake in the listing, both brands sharing same condenser or something else ?

_DSC5536.jpg
_DSC5536.jpg (82.76 KiB) Viewed 3741 times

MichaelG.

Re: Motic / Zeiss condenser

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:58 pm

Too many 'projects'

Saul

#3 Post by Saul » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:05 pm

MichaelG. wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:58 pm
https://www.motic.com/As_News/n116.html

MichaelG.
Thanks Michael !

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:08 am

If you look around the extremely large panorama of Chinese microscope manufacturers and marketers, a version of that microscope shows up time after time, sometimes identical , sometimes with very small differences. Objective shrouds are changed or the colour of the trim changed. A purple one is sold fitted with a DF condenser, like a hearse carrying a purple warning beacon.
The system in China is highly integrated with lots of levels of modularity. This allows assemblers to order parts to assemble models without attending to too much in the way of engineering. There are probably dozens of microscopes using that condenser.
Back in the 90's I engaged with Chinese company to supply a 5 objective , 100 watt halogen prototype microscope. Things eventually fizzled due to their insistence on making it only 50 watts and their resistance to supplying a 3 way trino. I was working through a Chinese international marketing agent who was fluent in English. At one point he suggested that I wouldn't have any better chance with another company because they more or less work from the same base. He further said that there are probably thousands of microscope companies in China. Everything from big assemblers like Motic to small regional assemblers. It appears that the design and engineering takes place independent from the marketing.
Being from Hong Kong, Motic actually began it's life in another country but they still partially relied on Chinese suppliers. Today they are more and more integrated into the Chinese matrix.
With infinity corrected systems in China, there are basically two camps. There is Olympus and there is Nikon, both the 45mm version and the 60mm version. 180 and 200mm . The supply chain feeds either.
The PrimoStar has 180mm Olympus format objectives. Virtually the same objectives end up in the Olympus CX-31.
Joint Venture. It means that Zeiss agreed to buy enough units, so that they both could make money.

Saul

#5 Post by Saul » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:54 am

Another interesting piece - Optico BM2000 condenser.
Looks like a mix of the Nikon Alpha (top) and Eclipse (bottom) parts. What is interesting, it fitted Eclipse DF conversion insert , just I had to make it little bit shorter.
Is this again some Chinese creation or it is something rebranded ?
Attachments
Optico BM2000 cond.jpg
Optico BM2000 cond.jpg (92.07 KiB) Viewed 3593 times

Sona

#6 Post by Sona » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:31 pm

I think they sell the same condenser