Micro tools.

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
Plasmid

Micro tools.

#1 Post by Plasmid » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:45 am

Im in search of advise in regards to micro tools for manipulation of ciliates, diatoms etc. So far I've been using a very small gauge hypodermic needle along with my stereo to pick and move ciliates and rotifers, but it's s a bit too thick and cumbersome to use.

MicroBob

Re: Micro tools.

#2 Post by MicroBob » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:59 am

For diatom mounting drawn out glass needles, spikey hegehog-hairs (fromt he border between spikes and fur) and baby seal hairs can be used. For use in water I would look for something that doesn't absorb water, so glass might be usable. I can imagine that a loop at the end mightbe useful. If you need something stiffer fine copper wire might be usable and easier to find than other metals. If you search for "micro manipulator" you might find good suggestions.

Bob

Plasmid

#3 Post by Plasmid » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:02 am

Interesting, never would had thought that hedgehog hairs would be so fine, when you say drawn out glass needle, do you mean like melting glass and stretching it with a torch?
Thank you.
Adrian.

mrsonchus

#4 Post by mrsonchus » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:19 am

I use acupuncture needles sometimes with sections that are misbehaving, they work well mounted onto a pencil or similar.
John B

MicroBob

#5 Post by MicroBob » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:24 am

Plasmid wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:02 am
drawn out glass needle, do you mean like melting glass and stretching it with a torch?
Yes, a propane burner will be enough and it is easy to do with a bit of practice.
The skikey hairs have a very fine tip. They grow only is the described area, the other hairs are not spikey.

Hobbyst46

#6 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:00 am

It depends what "manipulate" means.

If the idea is to touch the tiny objects/animalcules, push them, make them attach to the tip and rely on surface forces to hold them onto the tip, the above suggested items are useful.
For me, drawing out glass tubes to make capillaries is not practical. Instead, I take small pieces of glass wool - the stuff that is used for thermal insulation of central heating tubing, oven etc.

If the idea is to pipette small amounts of liquid in which the object resides or swims, capillary tubing is needed. There are a lot of capillary tubes on the market, made of glass, teflon, polyethene etc, but there are two issues: 1. the smallest commercial package is much more than needed and can be costly. 2. the walls are very thick (say, a millimeter).

Hypodermic needles go down in diameter as far as #33 (from Hamilton, Switzerland - very expensive) or #30 (more common suppliers). I buy blunt #27 needles from China, very cheap.