U-PCD compatability with BH?

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
Jamesr85

U-PCD compatability with BH?

#1 Post by Jamesr85 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:55 pm

Hello,
First post! I have a question that I have not been able to get answered by searching here or online. I have an Olympus BH scope and a U-PCD condenser. I can't find any manual or info on this model condenser. I do see information on the U-PCD2 model. A seller specializing in Olympus told me this condenser is compatible with BH and BX. Can anyone confirm this? I have only found reference to the BH2-PC and PCD.

I am getting back into microscopes. I remember keying out insects in grad school and then chasing fish parasites in a lab I worked at. I want to get back into microscopy and learn from the forums.

Thanks,
James

deBult

Re: U-PCD compatability with BH?

#2 Post by deBult » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:01 pm

If I remember correctly the phase plates in the U-PCB condenser will not match the original BH short barrel phase objectives.

I have the PCD (not the U-PCD) condenser but no longer own a BH.

If you want to use it as a normal condenser only:
Check 1: does the top lens fit the condenser holder (my expectation is yes it will)

Check 2: enough space below the condenser to keep using the auxiliary lens ? (my expectation is yes)

Check 3: are you able to get the field diagram into focus? (this is key).

Note a standard BH condenser is in the 35-50 dollar range, selling the U-PCB will bring you substantially more.

carlh6902

Re: U-PCD compatability with BH?

#3 Post by carlh6902 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:57 am

The 10x phase annulus of the U-PCD will be incompatible with 10x BH2 objectives.. The others should work.

Carl
--- If you're in the Kansas City area and you need help with an Olympus BH-2 scope, PM me. I love to work on these things ---