Carry/Storage Case For Swift 380T

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
MickH

Carry/Storage Case For Swift 380T

#1 Post by MickH » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:43 pm

I added this to my Hey, I've got a Swift 380T thread under the My Microscope topic but it got no response so I thought I'd try here...

I can't fault the microscope, particularly at the price, however one thing that I've discovered as an inconvenience is storage space. I'm not lucky enough to have an office or 'man-cave' so need to put it away when it's not in use I'm already in trouble for cluttering up the dining table so something needs to be done! A storage box or case would be great, however the official Swift ones I've found online so far are either unavailable or cost around ⅘ of what I paid for the microscope.

I've found some hard cases/flight cases on eBay & Amazon that would probably fit the bill, the only problem I have with these is that the microscope would be stored horizontally and I'd prefer it if the thing was kept upright.

So, before I hit the buy now button on a bog-standard carry case do any members have comments or recommendations?

Thanks.
Aging novice.

MicroBob

Re: Carry/Storage Case For Swift 380T

#2 Post by MicroBob » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:09 pm

Hi Mick,
microscope boxes have a similarity to camera ever ready cases: The users like them but the collectors hate them! So you might be able to buy a box for a different older microscope and make holders inside for your microscope. England is not a bad place for microscopists, you have several clubs and it ia likely that some members have boxes in storage and drive their wifes crazy with them. Some people have already built nesting boxes from them.

I attatch a photo of an old german army microscope box, made for the Zeiss standard Junior. The holders on the base are my work, made from thicker aluminium and wool felt padding. The black tray is 3D-printed and can take up quite a lot of microscopy accessories. I wouldn't store any acids with the microscope, but it is nice to have a compact way to store things. So you might think one step further and create a quick to set up box for the accessories.

Bob

Microworld Steve

#3 Post by Microworld Steve » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:50 am

If I can't see it with my microscope, it ain't worth looking at. :D

Roldorf

#4 Post by Roldorf » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:56 am

I am sure there are lots of low price 'carry on' suitcases on the internet that would be the right size to fit your scope. Steve's example seems to be very similar.

Unknown Brand: Optika SFX 91: Bresser Science Infinity: Canon 4000d
ImageImage

HowardHopkinson

#5 Post by HowardHopkinson » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:57 am

A padded camera backpack bag would also be ideal and quite cheap.
Swift SW380T compound microscope.
Swiftcam 18MP SC1803R camera.
Amscope SM-1TSZ-V203 stereo microscope.

MickH

#6 Post by MickH » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:21 am

Thank you all. I've seen the one Steve suggests but it appears to be unavailable everywhere. I'll dig deeper.

Thanks again. 👍🏼
Aging novice.

Charles

#7 Post by Charles » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:20 pm

All you really need is something to cover the microscope. There are inexpensive nylon covers you can buy/use or plastic bags. Put the bag over it and store it anywhere you wish.
Microscope Room.jpg
Microscope Room.jpg (92.79 KiB) Viewed 4107 times

PeteM

#8 Post by PeteM » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:10 am

Here's another option - a padded case just about the right size for that size Swift, AmScope, Omax, etc.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Respironics-In ... SwZ-5fnIRU

These are well padded, well made zipper cases. At least around here, dozens of them show up lightly used and cheap. People get CPAP machines and stop using them. The machines find their way to Goodwill etc. but no one wants to buy a used CPAP machine - especially when insurance will cover a new one. So the cases might go for $5 or so. Black out the "Respironics" logo with a Sharpie and you have a fine upright soft-padded travel case.

Greg Howald

#9 Post by Greg Howald » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:33 am

So I went to the second hand store and picked up a piece of soft luggage for next to nothing, through in some pads, a strap for bracing and an extra padded bag for Eyepieces and such and now I can wheel the scope around where ever I want and it stays in the upright position. Work out the details with the padding and strapping to hold it securely.
I've made two such cases with great success.
Greg

MickH

#10 Post by MickH » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:55 pm

@Charles ... Wow! If only I had a room like that!!
@PeteM ... Something like that would probably work quite well and I may end up going that way.
@Greg ... England is currently in lock-down. 2nd hand stores, charity shops and the like have all been closed since January 4th. There is to be a review on 22nd February but whether it will be lifted, who knows? Anyhoo, I'm sure a trawl around those shops will turn something up so I'll probably keep it under a dust cover until such time as our Lords and Masters decree it is safe to use shops other than food stores. 👍🏼
Aging novice.