Using PZO accessories with Lomo Biolam setup

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
quakerdave

Using PZO accessories with Lomo Biolam setup

#1 Post by quakerdave » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:33 pm

Hi

I'm new to this forum but I see that it covers areas of expertise that may be able to answer my query.
I normally use a Lomo Biolam setup but a while ago I purchased a PZO Bright/dark Phase contrast system and I found that this worked well with my setup.
I was considering adding a PZO DIC attachment to my system. Can anyone tell me, please, whether the PZO MPI3 DIC head will fit comfortably on my Lomo Biolam stand when using the MFN-11 trinocular head? It looks to me as though there may be clearance issues as the DIC adjustment controls on the top of the MPI3 head are very close to the connecting plate.
Thanks in advance for any help or replies!
Best wishes - stay safe.
Dave

zzffnn

Re: Using PZO accessories with Lomo Biolam setup

#2 Post by zzffnn » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:10 pm

Hello, Dave.

Is your Biolam the large stand or the portable stand (there are quite a few of them named "Biolam")?

I have a small portable Biolam and I don't think it offers enough under-stage space around its condenser mount.

I will only buy the MIP5 head, as its vertical adjustment is more versatile, which is an important functional feature. Also you don't have to cut away anything during modification.

With my Nikon Optiphot scope, I believe I need to cut away MIP3's top knob. And MIP3 also offers less vertical adjustment, which is probably needed with short LOMO objectives.

All I can say is, if you get MIP3 head, make sure that you can return it without much loss, if that does not fit or work well.

Dmi3n

Re: Using PZO accessories with Lomo Biolam setup

#3 Post by Dmi3n » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:11 pm

Hello! PZO MPI head won't fit Biolams mechanically due to different size of dovetail, you will need to find someone to manufacture new dovetail and mount for binocular/trinocular on top. Optically it will work, I have seen such set-ups on Russian forums.
Gear list:
CZJ NfPk and Polmi A w/ 45mm apo objectives, Phv, Epi Pol, trinocular
Gamma Hungary 3D-condenser
LOMO ОИ-28 Fluorescence Attachment
Set of Leitz Photar macro lens
Nikon D500 DSLR
LOMO МС-2 microtome