Adapting a Cellphone for magnifying specimens

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
waiteb

Adapting a Cellphone for magnifying specimens

#1 Post by waiteb » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:18 am

I am looking for alternatives to magnify specimens using a cell phone with an accessory lens. The purpose if for magnifying the specimen to be able to photography, or stream on a video sharing platform for identification.

The type of lens attachment/accessory I am looking to use on a cell phone would be a simple type. I have looked at one made by 'Moment' where the cell phone case has a screw in lens. Another is a clip-on model, see link below:

https://www.amazon.com/Xenvo-iPhone-Cam ... ljaz10cnVl

Keep in mind that I just want to be able to magnify specimens, like small seeds (poppy seed or a bit smaller) for ease of identification. So far I am concerned that the distance between the specimen and the lens might be no greater then 5 - 7mm when in clear focus (hence needing the tripod). This would not leave much room for some manipulation. Finally, what kind of suggested light source would be practical that could be used to light the specimen to a minimal degree, and not get in the way.

I would like to get a referral to sources for the attachments. Hopefully that have been tried and can be recommended. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Note, I have also wondered if a magnifying Glass 30X Optics Loupes would work if attached to a cell phone lens but have not tried it.

Please advise

Plasmid

Re: Adapting a Cellphone for magnifying specimens

#2 Post by Plasmid » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:01 am

My humble advise is to purchase a stereo microscope, a member posted the link to a starter, but descent one for $58 usd. The image quality will be a lot better, additionally it has it own light source or one can be added for under $20. The majority ( not all ) of those
"turn your phone into a Microscope accessories" will magnify at the cost of loosing contrast, except the really expensive ones $$$$.

MicroBob

Re: Adapting a Cellphone for magnifying specimens

#3 Post by MicroBob » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:58 am

A free working distance of 5-7mm is enogh to get some light in. A diffuser will be useful, this could be a ring cut of a white bottle cap ot part of a table tennis ball. These magnifying attatchments rely on the phones lens and some combinations fit better than others. If you like to build something yourself you could use a lens out od a CD or DVD player that will bring you into the wanted magnification range at fairly ok quality.
Attachments
Zweig Kirsche FCA 1024.jpg
Zweig Kirsche FCA 1024.jpg (286.84 KiB) Viewed 1586 times