Should I buy a small centrifuge for amateur microscopy?

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
jasonikakis

Should I buy a small centrifuge for amateur microscopy?

#1 Post by jasonikakis » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:07 am

How “important” is a centrifuge for a home microscopy lab? I’ve been thinking about getting one recently but I’m not sure if I’ll get enough use out of it to justify the purchase... I really like taking algae samples from a local beach, and similar water samples from wherever I find them, so I think being able to “separate” their components would certainly help. Also, any recommendations on specific brands/models? Thanks in advance.

Greg Howald

Re: Should I buy a small centrifuge for amateur microscopy?

#2 Post by Greg Howald » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:50 am

Ok. Two schools of thought here. Separating microbes from soil can be done at 4000 rpm or less. Separating blood or DNA requires 10,000 rpm. If you want to do both you'll need a centrifuge with variable speed and variable speed costs dollars of course. Some centrifuges make a lot of noise or vibrate greatly. There are a goodly number of them available on Amazon. I suggest you read the reviews available for them before making a decision.
I read an article where someone made a centrifuge attachment for a variable speed dremel tool and with it you cover the whole thing with a bucket before starting it up. That doesn't sound safe to me. So choose wisely.
You can enjoy having a centrifuge. There are a good number of experiments you can carry out with one.
But I really do suggest that you read the reviews and get out your wallet
Good luck. Greg

dtsh

#3 Post by dtsh » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:43 pm

I have one of the inexpensive import ones which I use occasionally. For general use I wouldn't bother with one unless you're doing something that requires it and save the money and space.

They are susceptible to imbalance issues, but at least in my limited experience attention to loading it with tubes equally filled and opposite each other tends to work well.

I have probably 4-6 hours of total operation on mine (in 5-10 minute cycles) if I were to guess. The quality of the components leaves a lot to be desired, bit it does work and has been reliable.

Were I to do it again, I would get an Eppendorf with a greater RPM, but my interests and yours likely differ.

If you are curious and just want to experiment, I would recommend exploring something like this:

https://www.nature.com/news/spinning-to ... ge-1.21273

There are also a number of 3D printed designs if that interests you.

Marc

#4 Post by Marc » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:46 am

Greg Howald wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:50 am
Ok. Two schools of thought here. Separating microbes from soil can be done at 4000 rpm or less.
I wonder about some home made solution using the rotor of a Dremel rotary. It can reach even 30.000 rpm.

How long time is needed for different common centrifugations?. Is there some table or guide?

lagoonatic

#5 Post by lagoonatic » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:07 pm

I've used a hand-operated centrifuge for a long time for exactly the same reason you're looking for one. Works great, not noisy, won't burn out a motor (hopefully ;) ) and you can claim aerobic exercise to your family physician.
https://www.humboldtmfg.com/product-ima ... H-9405.png

Hobbyst46

#6 Post by Hobbyst46 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:53 pm

Marc wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:46 am
I wonder about some home made solution using the rotor of a Dremel rotary. It can reach even 30.000 rpm.
A DIY centrifuge a la Youtube recipes is a risk-bearing adventure. A rapid rotation device must be enclosed in a sturdy housing, flatly laid on a bench, low-lying center of mass to preserve stability, and the tubes must be balanced. A centrifuge is not a toy. A commercial centrifuge, small or large, electric or hand-operated, would be the correct choice - if really needed.

BramHuntingNematodes

#7 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:03 pm

Get one of those cute lil Tomy capsule fuges. Won't be a doorstop at least.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

DonSchaeffer

#8 Post by DonSchaeffer » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:02 pm

jasonikakis wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:07 am
How “important” is a centrifuge for a home microscopy lab? I’ve been thinking about getting one recently but I’m not sure if I’ll get enough use out of it to justify the purchase... I really like taking algae samples from a local beach, and similar water samples from wherever I find them, so I think being able to “separate” their components would certainly help. Also, any recommendations on specific brands/models? Thanks in advance.
Look for Oliver's video about how to make one.

dtsh

#9 Post by dtsh » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:34 am

Marc wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:46 am
How long time is needed for different common centrifugations?. Is there some table or guide?
Speaking as an amateur with not a lot of experience, it seems to depend on the protocol you're using. Some centrifuges, like mine, don't go fast enough for some methods; it will do 5k rpm, but some protocols I've read need 10k or more.
Time, much like rpm, will be mostly dependent upon what it is you're working with.