Best URL's for Lab Supplies

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
linuxusr

Best URL's for Lab Supplies

#1 Post by linuxusr » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:50 pm

Could you suggest some of the best URL's for lab supplies, e.g. scientific tweezers; glass jars with screw on tops. Amazon has their section "Industrial and Scientific." With a few exceptions, I'm not impressed with either the selection or quality. I used to order from Carolina Biology Supply. I recently placed an order. They cancelled it because my physical address in FL is to a courier which then ships to me in the Dominican Republic where I permanently reside. They said they do not do international shipping. I explained that it was domestic shipping. They said no. Drugs flow into the U.S. and they are worried about microscope slides? Idiots.

While I'm on my mini-rant I must also add that I'm afraid that TSA, when I fly back to the D.R., are going to confiscate my digital and analog calipers, saying that they could be used as weapons . . . (I'm not checking luggage). More idiots.

Thank you!
Nikon AlphaPhot 2 < Zeiss Primostar 3, Full Köhler; Axiocam 208 Color < UHD LG
Aller Anfang ist schwer.

BramHuntingNematodes

Re: Best URL's for Lab Supplies

#2 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:55 pm

I can only think Carolina must have been hit with some odious fines as they also now flat out refuse to send any chemicals to residences too. I have used Electron Microscopy Sciences before. Pricey, but good.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

dtsh

#3 Post by dtsh » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:37 pm

I suspect it's the same with a lot of places where it's hit or miss, I've ordered form Carolina Biological in the last year and had no problem. I've also had McMaster-Carr refuse to deal with me on some orders then turn right around and deal with me other times. In the past I've had companies tell me they won't sell to me as an individual, but were A-OK taking my money as a DBA; go figure. :P

For a lot of items, Amazon/eBay are often sufficient. You sometimes need to be a bit more discerning and contact the seller to confirm details about some items, but I find it's often the most expedient and frequently, the same item/quality available elsewhere.

My vet won't sell me floatation fluid or other unregulated materials, but another vet nearby will without a pause.

linuxusr

#4 Post by linuxusr » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:49 pm

@BramHuntingNematodes

Per your suggestion, emsdiasum.com is the ticket. Although emphasizing electron miscroscopy they have a section devoted to light microscopy. The virtual catalog, "full" no. XVll, is downloadable and comes in at a whopping 107 mb. Transferring to my flash drive now.

Pricey but how much equipment do we need? (answer not much) I will try ordering one tweezers (about $30.00) and hope they don't balk at my address. (It's a physical address in the U.S. It has my account number as part of my address. Amazing that Carolina could determine the unnamed business).
"Keeping America Safe." Right.
Aller Anfang ist schwer.

Hobbyst46

#5 Post by Hobbyst46 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:11 pm

linuxusr wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:49 pm
Pricey but how much equipment do we need? (answer not much) I will try ordering one tweezers (about $30.00) and hope they don't balk at my address. (It's a physical address in the U.S. It has my account number as part of my address. Amazing that Carolina could determine the unnamed business).
"Keeping America Safe." Right.
I bought fine brand-new jeweler's tweezers from a supplier in the UK, on eBay, and they cost me a fraction of that sum, and are good. Must find their name again.

Charles

#6 Post by Charles » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:13 pm

I buy a lot of my reagents on eBay. There is an eBay seller Avogradro's Lab Supply, which sells a lot of lab products and they also have a website: https://www.avogadro-lab-supply.com/

linuxusr

#7 Post by linuxusr » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:14 am

Thank you for this URL, Charles. I have checked it out. It has the collection jars I've been looking for: glass with twist-on black tops. I also like the bent (and sharp) teasing probes with chuck for only around $5.00.

Very nice rock and mineral specimen collections too. A little scraping for fine particles could make some very nice dry mounts.
Aller Anfang ist schwer.

linuxusr

#8 Post by linuxusr » Mon May 10, 2021 9:29 pm

@ALL:

Plug for emsdiasum.com

I have received my order. Excellent phone service; rapid shipping and excellent packing. They sent a pack of catalogs, including a large tweezer catalog.

Besides tweezers, I bought a plastic slide dispenser and a nice slide case for very little money.
Aller Anfang ist schwer.