Thermo Spectra IR objective

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
microb

Thermo Spectra IR objective

#1 Post by microb » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:07 am

I'm trying to take apart this mirror objective. The silver ring is frozen and it's supposed to turn. The center smaller mirror is foggy, so I want to look at it. The bigger outer mirror looks fine.

But now that I'm down to the mirror holder and the brass center, and the silver out ring knob; I can't find another screw to remove. The brass has threads against the inner silver ring. So I assume turning the ring is supposed to raise or lower the mirror or mirrors somehow.

The three springs seem to suggest the movement is between the top removed lid and the whole assembly that does not seem to be cooperating with my disassembly efforts.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (76.74 KiB) Viewed 2156 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (94.16 KiB) Viewed 2156 times
3.JPG
3.JPG (81.91 KiB) Viewed 2156 times
4.JPG
4.JPG (63.98 KiB) Viewed 2156 times
5.JPG
5.JPG (66.98 KiB) Viewed 2156 times

microb

Re: Thermo Spectra IR objective

#2 Post by microb » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:13 am

I was told by someone that the grease used hardens over time. Since the surface area is pretty large, the harden grease can become a strong force to overcome. So try soaking it in isopropyl and warm it up to remove the grease. Also don't touch the mirrors with anything except distilled water and dish soap. Use an air stream to dry.

So I'll try that out.

microb

Re: Thermo Spectra IR objective

#3 Post by microb » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:30 pm

The Isopropyl and some tries with acetone might have taken off some flaking substance between the collar and the brass. But if anyone has seen these before, I'm still trying to figure out what rotates against what and how to take off that bottom black part that holds the smaller convex mirror. I got that mirror remove, but the ring has no screws or visible holders anywhere.