Aliexpress mechanical stage

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
smollerthings

Aliexpress mechanical stage

#1 Post by smollerthings » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:25 am

Hi!

I got a new mechanical stage for my Lomo. It fits perfectly and is generally functional. But... I feel it goes "too fast" when I am on 40x or higher? Is that a normal feature of those mechanical stages. I guess it is a tradeoff of going too fast on higher magnifications or too slow on lower?

Thanks!

microcosmos

Re: Aliexpress mechanical stage

#2 Post by microcosmos » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:58 am

I think it is normal, from the various mechanical stages I've used over the years.

I think there are three factors involved - the distance travelled per turn, the tightness of the knob and the smoothness of the knob.

By tightening the knob I think you can get better control over the movement at high magnifications. I'm not sure if those black slotted screw heads on the end of the knobs are for controlling the tightness?

If the knob isn't perfectly smooth-turning (because of lack of lubrication or imprecise machining) you'll also get unpredictable changes in forces as you turn, making it hard to hit the target on your slide.

smollerthings

#3 Post by smollerthings » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:12 am

Nice, you were right on the tightness. It feels much better now that I have adjusted the tightness. And I guess I will have to learn how to move slowly at the higher magnifications.
Thanks!

microcosmos

#4 Post by microcosmos » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:29 am

Glad it worked! Have fun!