Choosing a Handheld Microtome

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
dgibsman

Choosing a Handheld Microtome

#1 Post by dgibsman » Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:24 pm

I would like to buy a handheld microtome. There are so many offered on eBay and Amazon, I don’t know where to begin. Many of the pictures of the microtomes offered look exactly the same. Their prices,
however, are vastly different. Many of the descriptions of these microtomes are exactly the same. They appear to be written by the same person.

I have watched the Microbehunter video in which Oliver shows his new microtome purchase (the one that comes in the blue box). I would like my purchase to include the items shown in the video. Oliver also mentions the advantage of having an internal specimen clamp which his purchase did not have.

I have found a number of microtomes that have this internal clamp, but they are not offered with a table clamp. One such microtome does not include the knife which must be purchased separately.

My first priority is a well made microtome that includes a table clamp. Second, is an included knife.
I have read mixed reviews regarding the internal specimen clamp, so that is something I am unsure about.

I would like to spend up to $100. I can spend a little more if necessary. I just bought my first microscope and look forward to making my own slides. I think a microtome will make this process a bit easier.

Any suggestions regarding choosing a microtome would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Danielle
Last edited by dgibsman on Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Alexander

Re: Choosing a Handheld Microtome

#2 Post by Alexander » Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:40 pm

All the factory-new handheld microtomes you may find today are essentially the same Chinese crap.
If you want a good one, look for used ones from reputable makers. 100 bucks will by far not be enough for one of those.

Greg Howald

#3 Post by Greg Howald » Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:54 pm

I mounted the hand held microtome to a vertical piece of wood using a u bolt I purchased at the hardware store. Then to my amazement I discovered that the thread that controls specimen height on the microtome are so badly cut that it can slip. Hand held stuff is crap and you can spend a thousand for a fairly good one.
Greg

Greg Howald

#4 Post by Greg Howald » Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:54 pm

I mounted the hand held microtome to a vertical piece of wood using a u bolt I purchased at the hardware store. Then to my amazement I discovered that the threads that controls specimen height on the microtome are so badly cut that it can slip. Hand held stuff is crap and you can spend a thousand for a fairly good one.
Greg

TonyT

#5 Post by TonyT » Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:28 pm

Much better to spend a few $ on high quality razor blades:
SEE HERE
AND HERE
New Brunswick
Canada

MicroBob

#6 Post by MicroBob » Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:30 pm

Hi Danielle,
making a hand microtome is no difficult machining operation but nevertheless it can be done wrong. For good sectioning one wants a certain friction between inner and outer cylinder, no sloppy fit. The micrometer spindle can handle this friction easily, but the blade won't be able to lift the inner cylinder with the specimen up in the cut. Usually the hand microtomes sold today have a very sloppy fit and make it unnecessarily difficult to get nice sections. It is advisable to buy a cylinder microtome with a clamp as it is otherwise very difficult to fix the specimen so it doesn't move. Hand microtomes with clamp are much more common on the german market than on some others. Prices for good used hand microtomes are in the 80-200€ range here. Good brands are Jung, Sartorius and Leitz. It is not difficult to make a table clamp, have a look at my picture.

Bob
Attachments
Sarorius Zylindermikrotom mit Halter und Bessey Schraubzwinge.jpg
Sarorius Zylindermikrotom mit Halter und Bessey Schraubzwinge.jpg (144.49 KiB) Viewed 2804 times

Greg Howald

#7 Post by Greg Howald » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:03 am

Good solution Bob.

sunglint

#8 Post by sunglint » Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:02 am

Your solution is very similar to a Jewelers Bench Pin, search Amazon or Ebay and you can find them under $20. Nicely done though.
:D

DonSchaeffer

#9 Post by DonSchaeffer » Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:27 pm

After starting my new hobby, I bought a microtome which mounts on my desk. It came with a very nice old-fashioned folding razor which occasionally use for slicing plant specimens. I found the microtome to be more trouble than it's worth. I started putting plant specimens on my table--on a cutting board and just scraping cell layers off the top using an exacto-type knife. I can do both lateral and cross sections this way. It's not as neat as a good microtome. My speciemens come out spotty. But I can get enough area of thin cut to see cell structures quite nicely. There are modest alternatives to expensive microtomes.