My First 3d printing project

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
Greg Howald

My First 3d printing project

#1 Post by Greg Howald » Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:08 pm

I made an extension tube and storage body for my Amscope T720Q. I made regular sized filter holders for it as can be seen at the objective level. Filter holders, analyzer and polarizer store in the rear of the extension on a shelf.
I don't think it's too bad for as first attempt. Cheers. Greg
Attachments
t720q extension.jpg
t720q extension.jpg (65.58 KiB) Viewed 2240 times

Microscopy_is_fun

Re: My First 3d printing project

#2 Post by Microscopy_is_fun » Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:39 pm

Hi Greg,

amazing, how fast you mastered the art of 3D-printing! Out of interest, two questions:

(1) Could you post a close-up of one of your parts, in order to be able to judge the surface quality which your printer provides?

(2) Regarding optics: If you extend the infinity-space with your extension tube, do you start to see some vignetting in your images? With my infinity microscope, the field width is reduced when extension tubes beyond 50mm thickness are inserted.

Greg Howald

#3 Post by Greg Howald » Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:58 pm

So far as print quality is concerned you can count the layers.
Field of view is reduced at higher magnification as expected but overall performance with polarization and phase retardation is great as I had hoped. It's always a trade off when you extend. With finite optics magnification changes and 4x may be out of range. With infinite the field of view can decrease. Correcting those difficulties requires lensing and knowledge. Since I am lacking in both areas, we'll, some things are best left alone, at least by me. :P

Scarodactyl

#4 Post by Scarodactyl » Sun May 01, 2022 12:00 am

Very cool! That level of extension shouldn't be totally nuts since it's comparable to eg an illuminator, but it may be worth considering ways to make it shorter if it's causing noticeable reductions in the fov. Seems like a nice addition to your scope's capabilities.

Greg Howald

#5 Post by Greg Howald » Sun May 01, 2022 1:26 am

Reduction in fov becomes noticeable at 40x, but imaging is outstanding even at 100 dry. When I oil things up, 100x just pops.

LouiseScot

#6 Post by LouiseScot » Fri May 06, 2022 11:47 am

That's cool, Greg! Giving me ideas now... I was tempted to get a T720Q also. Maybe I still am as it's one of the few decent scopes that Amscope UK stock. Are they based on Olympus infinity corrected optics i.e. 180mm focal length tube lens? How are you finding it? Any images yet using your polarization mod?

Louise

ps what's the scope on the shelf in the background? Looks like a polarization equipped one also?
A Nikon CF plan 20x; A Swift 380T; A DIY infinity corrected focus rail system with a 40x/0.65 Olympus Plan, a 10x/0.30 Amscope Plan Fluor, and a 20x/0.75 Nikon Plan Apo

Greg Howald

#7 Post by Greg Howald » Fri May 06, 2022 4:34 pm

The scope in the background is an Amscope PZ200A polarizing petrographic scope. Costs about $ 1000.00.
It's a great scope. I use it with thin sections and mineral grains. Another I have is a dual illumination metallurgical scope. It is also great for mineral work.
With the extension in place on the T720Q, I get noticeably diminished field of view at 100x and am considering going to a 60x objective.
I just completed an extension tube for my B660. It is a finite scope. Use of extension with it also results in less f.o.v. at 100x, and I had to install an extension ring on the 4x objective to obtain focus. Phase contrast and dark field are not affected. In both cases, the use of extension tubes allows for use of multiple fixtures. I can, for example, polarize, phase shift and oblique at the same time. Images can be wicked.

LouiseScot

#8 Post by LouiseScot » Fri May 06, 2022 5:21 pm

Greg Howald wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 4:34 pm
The scope in the background is an Amscope PZ200A polarizing petrographic scope. Costs about $ 1000.00.
It's a great scope. I use it with thin sections and mineral grains. Another I have is a dual illumination metallurgical scope. It is also great for mineral work.
With the extension in place on the T720Q, I get noticeably diminished field of view at 100x and am considering going to a 60x objective.
I just completed an extension tube for my B660. It is a finite scope. Use of extension with it also results in less f.o.v. at 100x, and I had to install an extension ring on the 4x objective to obtain focus. Phase contrast and dark field are not affected. In both cases, the use of extension tubes allows for use of multiple fixtures. I can, for example, polarize, phase shift and oblique at the same time. Images can be wicked.
Oh ok. Wish we could buy at your $ price from the UK! Can't seem to get those polarizing Amscopes over here at all, but currently listed on Amscope.com at nearly $2k.Did you use the PZ200T design as a basis for your mod? Where does the T720Q infinity tube lens sit, exactly? Can it be raised somewhat (maybe with the aid of an adapter) to give a better field of view? Having access to the infinity space is one of infinity optics' advantages and opens up possibilities for add-ons. I've used a Raynox DCR-150 macro lens as a tube lens quite successfully. It has a focal length of about 208mm. There is a DCR-250 which has a focal length of 125mm though I've never used one.

https://www.olympus-lifescience.com/en/ ... nityintro/

Louise
A Nikon CF plan 20x; A Swift 380T; A DIY infinity corrected focus rail system with a 40x/0.65 Olympus Plan, a 10x/0.30 Amscope Plan Fluor, and a 20x/0.75 Nikon Plan Apo

Greg Howald

#9 Post by Greg Howald » Sat May 07, 2022 4:35 am

Today I began having plate adhesion problems. In frustration I ordered plate adhesive and then turned the plate over to print on glass. My, what a difference it made. Items coming off the printer are better than ever.

dtsh

#10 Post by dtsh » Sat May 07, 2022 5:25 am

When I start having adhesion problems, I wash off the build plate with dish soap, rinse and dry; solves it for me almost every time.
I use a brim on parts with small contact area.

Greg Howald

#11 Post by Greg Howald » Sat May 07, 2022 5:57 am

Thanks. I'll try that too. :)