Microscope case/storage boxes

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
dtsh

Microscope case/storage boxes

#1 Post by dtsh » Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:33 pm

I've seen the odd discussion here and there about travel/carry/storage boxes for microscopes, I currently have a couple of them, 3 factory and one custom made; all with a variety of time related damage. I believe the general concensus is that the storage cases are just extra bulk and not especially desired, but I like them for my less used scopes as my environment can be a bit rough on delicate instruments and I like to take one with me on my infrequent travels.

The 3 factory ones consist of 2 styles of wood/hardboard boxes ad a plastic one. The two wood ones are an upright model and another in which the scope sits laying down with its base/feet held against the side of the box; the single plastic one holds the scope upright. The plastic one does not have a carrier for eyepieces or other accessories.

I am undecided which I prefer of the two wooden ones, the one in which the scope lays on its side seems to allow the stage to drift down with gravity but it also seems to allow easier packing of other items in with the scope. The upright case holds the scope in a more natural position and is less convenient for storing extras, but it also takes up less horizontal space.

Here are two images of he wood upright case.
AO_case_upright1.jpg
AO_case_upright1.jpg (88.42 KiB) Viewed 1336 times
AO_case_upright2.jpg
AO_case_upright2.jpg (105.85 KiB) Viewed 1336 times
And two images of the case in which the scope lays down. I have no idea what the two metal springs/retainers are for.
AO_case1.jpg
AO_case1.jpg (97.32 KiB) Viewed 1336 times
AO_case2.jpg
AO_case2.jpg (101.5 KiB) Viewed 1336 times
Anyone have any opinions? Other cases you'd like to share? Methods of packing accessories that you've found especially handy?

dtsh

Re: Microscope case/storage boxes

#2 Post by dtsh » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:20 pm

The upright case has a basic lever lock in it, but came with no key! It's a good thing I know how to impression keys as it now has a working key. It's been a few years since I've impressioned a key, so the impressioned key is a tad rough looking. I'll transfer the cuts to a new blank and it'll be like new. It would probably be cheap and easy to replace the lock, but I still had some blanks and it gave me the opportunity to show a friend how to do it.

PeteM

Re: Microscope case/storage boxes

#3 Post by PeteM » Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:33 pm

I prefer the upright A.O. cases myself.

Around here, old "Respironics" padded CPAP cases often show up cheap - under $10. People get a machine paid for by insurance and apparently discontinue use. No one wants a used CPAP machine, so the cases periodically show up at a local medical recycling place. These are just the right size for a typical import microscope, a Zeiss Standard, or something like an A.O. 10 with the built-in power supply. The larger ones are what works and only for scopes with reasonably narrow bases - not something with a wide stance like an Olympus BH-2 or Nikon Optiphot. They're heavily padded, with what appears to be a near bullet-proof ballistic nylon outer cloth and with a back pocket for accessories. For example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115415376694?h ... Sw7LBhg~wc