Carl Zeiss Optovar

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
MikeBradley

Carl Zeiss Optovar

#1 Post by MikeBradley » Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:41 am

I just took delivery of this Optovar, it is the 1,1.25,1.6,2 and PH version. There is no Analyser and the thumbwheel appears to be a single layer. I have been unable to find this particular version in any of the manuals that I own so any relevant documentation or links would be most welcome.
I do have two specific questions:
1) Am I right in thinking that the PH position is a fixed Bertrand lens?
2) There is a small slot on the case, opposite the magnification selector, what is it? One side of the slot is marked with an orange dot and inside there appears to be the end of a bolt or a captive ball bearing visible.

Thanks for any help,
Michael
Attachments
Optovar_2.jpg
Optovar_2.jpg (107.9 KiB) Viewed 2063 times
Optovar_1.jpg
Optovar_1.jpg (83.22 KiB) Viewed 2063 times
Olympus BH2,
AO110
Carl Zeiss Standard WL
Canon 90D

Hobbyst46

Re: Carl Zeiss Optovar

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:38 am

An OPTOVAR like yours is mentioned in the ZeissOpticalSystems catalogue as well as a manual called "Photomicroscope". The PH ishould indeed be the Bertrand lens. Yet the small ball and slot are not shown in the photos there.

PeteM

#3 Post by PeteM » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:32 pm

Recollection is a bit dim, but I believe the bit viewed through the slot is part of the mechanism to swing in and out a Bertrand lens. The dim recollection part is that there should be a lever there - and that it is sometimes broken off at the threads in older units. I (vaguely) recall having to drill out the broken bit and replace it. Someone else who uses Zeiss on a frequent basis will likely come along to explain it all.

Charles

#4 Post by Charles » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:31 pm

Some Optovars have a lever in the back which swings in and out an analyser. They make some without levers with the space in the back where the lever would go. The bertrand lens is controlled by the knurled piece under the part which rotates the optovar to various positions when in the Ph position. Sometimes the grease has hardened making the movement of the knurled piece very difficult.

MikeBradley

#5 Post by MikeBradley » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:50 pm

I opened up the unit and confirmed that this is one of the versions that never had the analyser installed. Disappointing, but the Optovar is still a very nice new addition to my Carl Zeiss kit. Thanks everyone for the advice.
Michael
Olympus BH2,
AO110
Carl Zeiss Standard WL
Canon 90D

ImperatorRex

#6 Post by ImperatorRex » Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:07 pm

Kind of DIY retrofit solution how to install an analysator in an Optovar is explained here:
https://www.mikroskopie-forum.de/index. ... 9#msg65959

I also used an alternate solution where an analysator is permanently screwed into the existing threat just above the lower telan lense of the Optovar:
https://www.mikroskopie-forum.de/index. ... #msg192687

I also took some fotos from the original Zeiss swing in analysator. The feather mechanism makes a nice "click" when the analysator gets locked into position. Very nice and smooth solution.
However I have missed to make a foto how it was assembled inside the Optovar. But you probabely can imagine checking the hyperlink to the DIY solution.