BHB microscope condenser/head compatibility

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
Gigi

BHB microscope condenser/head compatibility

#1 Post by Gigi » Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:06 pm

Hi! I recently bought a BHB Olympus microscope, now i want to add a trinocular head and a phase contrast condenser.
I found many trinocular head for BH-2, are those compatible with the BHB?
And I also found lot of phase contrast condenser for BH-2, are those condenser compatible with my BHB?
Thanks for all help!

PeteM

Re: BHB microscope condenser/head compatibility

#2 Post by PeteM » Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:30 pm

The heads have the same size dovetail between BH and BH2 models. The BH2 will have a larger field of view, but work fine on a BH series.

The condensers mount differently between most BH and BH2 models. For BH, they are secured under the stage and clamped on the upper cylinder of the condenser (just below the lens). For BH2 they are secured by a dovetail fixed at theh bottom of the condenser that attaches to a separate and easily-focusable condenser carrier.

Some Olympus condensers can be mounted either way. Grip ring at top AND a dovetail at the bottom.

I'm not entirely sure how well the phase rings in BH and BH2 condensers and the phase annuli in short and long (DIN standard 45mm parfocal) interchange. My recollection is that they are about the same size. Still, if you already have short barrel phase objectives, you're more likely to find an affordable BH-era phase condenser than the more modern versions.

Do you already have a set of phase objectives?

Gigi

#3 Post by Gigi » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:17 pm

I haven't any phase objectives yet, so I'll buy the objectives good for the condenser that I'll get!

deBult

#4 Post by deBult » Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:58 pm

Gigi wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:17 pm
I haven't any phase objectives yet, so I'll buy the objectives good for the condenser that I'll get!
Confirmed: the BH2 trino head will match the BHB.

You can mount the BH2-PC Phase condenser at the BHB via the top ring (I have one mounted to a CH2 with condenser mount similar to the BHB). The BH2 phase plates/rings are NOT compatible though and aimed at the new LB (long barrel) series of objectives as well.

The LB objectives are …. 9mm LONGER compared to the Short Barrel ones one your BHB, from memory (not 100% sure though) you CAN lower the BHB stage enough to compensate . You will need to replace your eyepieces to a series designed match the LB objectives (WHK series).

Note in the short barrel (SB) objective range Olympus offered 4 different phase types (all matching the old phase condenser series), Particularly the NH (Negative High) phase are very nice for pond dippers.

The SB objectives (and phase condenser) are way more affordable and of very decent quality, if you get really hooked on phase:the LB SPlan series has some very nice Apo phase samples :twisted:

PeteM

#5 Post by PeteM » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:13 am

Gigi wrote:

Particularly for Olympus long barrel DPlan and SPlan objectives, buying phase objectives and a phase condenser one at a time adds up fast. Add multiple shipping charges, taxes, as well.

Short barrel options will be more affordable - but still time consuming to buy one at a time.

It may well be that you can buy a complete phase contrast scope for about the same money as trying to source components one or two at a time.

Another option might be to buy a no-name phase contrast kit complete with condenser and objectives. These typically come as a boxed set for more recent Chinese scopes. Most of these will mount in the same way as Olympus BH series condensers and use fairly neutral eyepiece corrections. Some of them will be close enough in diameter to the sleeve on your Olympus BHB to fit directly. Others a bit smaller and able to be sleeved or just metal taped to the larger diameter needed. Still others will be a tiny bit too big but able to be turned down in a lathe. So, ask the seller to measure the diameter of the sleeve if you find a set at a good price.

These kits sometimes show up used for around $200 or so.

Gigi

#6 Post by Gigi » Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:18 am

deBult wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:58 pm
Gigi wrote:
Confirmed: the BH2 trino head will match the BHB.

You can mount the BH2-PC Phase condenser at the BHB via the top ring (I have one mounted to a CH2 with condenser mount similar to the BHB). The BH2 phase plates/rings are NOT compatible though and aimed at the new LB (long barrel) series of objectives as well.

The LB objectives are …. 9mm LONGER compared to the Short Barrel ones one your BHB, from memory (not 100% sure though) you CAN lower the BHB stage enough to compensate . You will need to replace your eyepieces to a series designed match the LB objectives (WHK series).

Note in the short barrel (SB) objective range Olympus offered 4 different phase types (all matching the old phase condenser series), Particularly the NH (Negative High) phase are very nice for pond dippers.

The SB objectives (and phase condenser) are way more affordable and of very decent quality, if you get really hooked on phase:the LB SPlan series has some very nice Apo phase samples :twisted:
Yes, I can put LB objectives on the BHB, I've put a 20X cheap DIN and all works, for the phase contrast basically I have to buy a phase condenser for BH-2 (it will fit in the BHB) and the objectives for that condenser, right?

deBult

#7 Post by deBult » Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:02 pm

Gigi wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:18 am
Yes, I can put LB objectives on the BHB, I've put a 20X cheap DIN and all works, for the phase contrast basically I have to buy a phase condenser for BH-2 (it will fit in the BHB) and the objectives for that condenser, right?
You EITHER buy a BH phase condenser (BH-PC) with SB Short Barrel phase objectives (your eyepieces are ok) (affordable option)
Or a BH2 phase condenser (BH2-PC) with LB Long Barrel (45 mm) phase objectives (you need WHK type eyepieces as well) (more expensive option)

Gigi

#8 Post by Gigi » Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:57 pm

My problem is that I'm not finding any BHB phase condenser

PeteM

#9 Post by PeteM » Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:46 pm

Gigi wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:57 pm
My problem is that I'm not finding any BHB phase condenser
Gigi, Where are you located? There are several BH era phase condensers now on US Ebay - though with high asking prices around $300.

Starting with that $300 condenser, you might spend another $300 or more to get three or more objectives and a phase telescope ($75 each with shipping and tax would be a conservative estimate).

For $600 you could likely find a complete and good quality phase contrast microscope, at least in the US.

deBult

#10 Post by deBult » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:21 am

Pete, All Olympus BH phase condensers showing up in my search on eB are actually the BH2 model.

Gigi

#11 Post by Gigi » Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:25 am

Yes i only found BH-2 PC condenser

PeteM

#12 Post by PeteM » Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:11 pm

The Olympus BHS stand in this buy-it-now listing is likely worth around $500. The phase condenser (based on other sold listings) around $300. So, it could be a decent deal. The objectives are all wrong - but a few compatible Olympus achro or DPlan could be found for maybe $300 more:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334504169807?h ... 000%7C7000