Cleaning/fixing/refurbishing objectives.

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
Finelld

Cleaning/fixing/refurbishing objectives.

#1 Post by Finelld » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:06 pm

I just purchased four Zeiss neoflour plan apo phase contrast objectives for parts or not working. Most are in usable condition and need just minor cleaning. One has a couple of minor scratches but is usable.

BUT one looks like the tip was immersed in something that when it dried it gives a sandblasted surface appearance that is very very hard. It is even difficult to scrape flakes with a surgical scalpel but I did get a few to determine that it actually was a coating and not the actual surface that had been textured or damaged. I have tried lens cleaner, 99.99% alcohol, and acetone. Nothing worked to remove whatever this substance is.

Does anyone have any idea what a microscope objective could have been exposed to that would leave such a coating and what solvent might work to remove it that wouldn’t damage the lens or metal?

ImperatorRex

Re: Cleaning/fixing/refurbishing objectives.

#2 Post by ImperatorRex » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:02 pm

Well, finally you may try very unpolar solvents, like xylene or petrol ether.
However maybe the lense coating or the glas itself has kind of corrosion... so no solvent at all will help.

Hobbyst46

Re: Cleaning/fixing/refurbishing objectives.

#3 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:24 am

Using non polar solvents like ImperatoRex suggested is a good idea, since they might better dissolve hardened grease than alcohol.
If by chance (by misfortune that is) the coating is wax or paraffin, xylene can dissolve it.
Since xylene is considered hazardous, I would first try heptane or octane or petrol ether. They work the same, although more slowly.