Track keeper

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
legionair

Track keeper

#1 Post by legionair » Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:03 pm

It's not a real accesoire but I found I had to keep track of things I've been looking at through the microscope so I made myself a file that I can update.
Things like specimen type,name and observations on the observation together with a reminder picture are part of this (on screen)sheet.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/146151375 ... 304511880/

WWWW

Re: Track keeper

#2 Post by WWWW » Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:19 pm

Legionair,

Welcome to the forum, you use a very nice and clear sheet to keep track of your observations.
I mainly look at watersamples and also have a system to adminstrate my founds (organisms).
For the photos I take, i change the name of the foto in: date-taken_organism-name_serial number (of the organism) and magnification.

Lots of fun with your microscope !

legionair

#3 Post by legionair » Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:06 pm

quote by WWW:"For the photos I take, i change the name of the foto in: date-taken_organism-name_serial number (of the organism) and magnification."
I have to find out a way to add certain information like magnification to each photo.For the moment I'm still jumping from one magnification to another :roll: so I put the pictures in a numbered map from which the content can be found on the track keeper untill I've calmed down a little on taking shots of everything.

ddy5

#4 Post by ddy5 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:37 pm

You are really smart to be keeping careful records of your explorations. You’ve got a good start on a system. It will probably evolve over time as the diversity of your experiences grows.

I deeply regret that I didn’t keep detailed records like you’re doing. As I’ve accumulated more and more images, it’s become clear that relying on memory doesn’t work. The camera records frame numbers and dates, but that’s not nearly enough.

My greatest wish is that from the start I had simply kept a notebook where an entry after each photo session listed collection site details, general information about the types of organisms encountered and their relative numbers, mention of any interesting behaviors of specific species observed, and details of any out of the ordinary techniques I used.

Hope you continue to enjoy your explorations!

Cheers, David

legionair

#5 Post by legionair » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:19 am

the idea I have from one of the video's from microbehunter.only yesterday I also started to keep track of my made pictures by naming them in a dedicated map year-month-day-subject.that also is a help to keep track.
if someone think my previous recording system is usefull he/she can find a blank file at https://www.flickr.com/photos/146151375 ... 304511880/ and without pictures space at https://www.flickr.com/photos/146151375 ... 304511880/