Olympus objectives

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
Gigi

Olympus objectives

#1 Post by Gigi » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:40 am

Someone can tell the difference between Uplanfl and UplanSapo and say if it's worth to buy UplanSapo that are way more expensive (talking about used ones).

patta

Re: Olympus objectives

#2 Post by patta » Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:10 pm

(unserious post, rainy Sunday)
I don't have either, but sure bet that the more expensive ones are better.
A discussion with the wife or a check on the bank account may help to take the right decision.
Me, at the prices they are going I'd rather buy a boat and get some rare samples from deep and offshore waters. Or, the wife has some other suggestions that do not entail boats nor microscopy.

The SAPO seems to be transmitting and corrected for extended range of wavelengths (newer Xapo from 350 to 1000 nm) so may be useful for some fluorescence if you're at those wavelengths. There must be somebody paying them for some reason, like infrared fluorescence or Raman. If you're not going to use this extra range, no extra usefulness I'd guess.
The FL seem instead to drop down in the infrared at about 700nm.

Scarodactyl

Re: Olympus objectives

#3 Post by Scarodactyl » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:46 pm

Is there a difference? Yes. Will it blow your mind? Probably not but that depends on your needs I guess.
I did a head to head with the 20x fluor and 20x sapo on an ultrawide head, and with direct projection onto aps-c the difference was definitely noticeable.
https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... hp?t=43642
If you can get through the wall of text the short version is resolution is a bit better, color correction is a bit better, corners are much better if you're using the widefield tube lens on a larger format camera.
That said sometimes the sapo can be had for ufl prices, though rarely. The fluor will have somewhat greater depth of field which can be preferable for hunting pond life.