Experience with clearance-free Olympus BH2-SRG Rotating Stage Clips.

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
MicroMan2

Experience with clearance-free Olympus BH2-SRG Rotating Stage Clips.

#1 Post by MicroMan2 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:21 am

Hello does anybody have recommendations for alternatives or options for mechanical stages to the BH2-SRG rotating stage for the Olympus BHS Microscope? I have recently acquired one with a third party mechanical stage but I am unable to use it as the stage clips are too high, blocking the rotation of the objectives from the nosepiece.

Phill Brown

Re: Experience with clearance-free Olympus BH2-SRG Rotating Stage Clips.

#2 Post by Phill Brown » Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:23 am

Maybe post a picture of the parts?

PeteM

#3 Post by PeteM » Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:16 pm

Low-height stages for polarization work are available from several makers, including Olympus. However, they're hard to find used and usually expensive.

I'd guess the one fitted to your stage is one of the Japanese ones, or later Chinese clones. As you say, they'll bump into the noses of higher magnification objectives and possibly damage them.

Two possible workarounds until you find a low-profile version:

1) Move what you have to the outermost position so that only the slide holders need to clear for most of the rotation. Then, be very careful in rotating the stage not to interfere with the x-y mechanism that's sitting higher.

2) Use actual slide clips and center the slide manually. These should clear.

MicroMan2

#4 Post by MicroMan2 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:02 pm

Here are pictures of the parts, as well as the problem with the stage colliding with the objectives:
Attachments
IMG_8151.JPG
IMG_8151.JPG (54.45 KiB) Viewed 2364 times
IMG_8135.JPG
IMG_8135.JPG (57.93 KiB) Viewed 2364 times

MicroMan2

#5 Post by MicroMan2 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:42 am

I have seen other alternatives like this mechanical stage from this link: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/143405630456?_t ... %7Ciid%3A1 . But once again, I am concerned that the height's of 3rd-party stages are too high causing no clearance.

Phill Brown

#6 Post by Phill Brown » Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:25 am

The principal is to add more distance from the centre of the slide to high point that will not clear.
It's very different to what you have so could work.
Good luck if you choose to try it.

woyjwjl

#7 Post by woyjwjl » Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:47 am

"This one had the circular stage BH2-SRG with permanently attached centering bolts, and it clips onto the same round stage holding frame used for several biological stages (the BHT stage and nose turret are easy to remove for different uses). Olympus also made a larger circular stage BH2-SRP, which is one piece with its stage holder frame and includes a lever-controlled clicker for every 45 degrees of rotation."

I purchased the entire BHSP in order to obtain BH2-SRP :|

For the interference problem between the Slide Holder and the objective lens, I replaced the fixing bolt (shortened length) to ensure that only one position had interference, so I turned the stage counterclockwise.

I have an extra set of FM-3 for sale on eBay.
Attachments
s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg (31 KiB) Viewed 2312 times
Micrographers from China, thanks to the forum for providing a platform for exchange

Macro_Cosmos

#8 Post by Macro_Cosmos » Mon May 29, 2023 8:53 am

Even the original designed for BH A-FMP will somewhat hinder your nosepiece. You will have to replace the knobs with flatter low profile ones. I believe the u-fmp of the BX era solved this issue, do not quote me on it though.

MicroMan2

#9 Post by MicroMan2 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:44 pm

Just updating this forum post with a question. Does anybody who own the Olympus U-FMP can provide the dimensions of the Allen screw that secures it? I am trying to see if I can mount a U-FMP Mechanical Stage onto a BH2-SRP.