Mix and match- recommended boom stand/ stereoscope combination?

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
Kinetochore

Mix and match- recommended boom stand/ stereoscope combination?

#1 Post by Kinetochore » Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:41 pm

Morning all

I've a colleague in CA looking at putting together an aftermarket stereoscope and boom stand for laminar flow hood use

There are a few sweet deals in the US, but freight to CA is wickedly expensive and works out at about 2x the price of the units

I'm not a fan of the cheaper brand package kits- he needs crisp, reliable visuals for his IP documentation, so we are looking at mix/match between a good used stereoscope that can be purchased in CA, and an aftermarket articulated boom stand. I saw a bunch of aftermarket boom stands on ebay yesterday, but today the algorithm is not being helpful

I'd love feedback on which brands or models of stereoscopes people have experiences with which do ( or do not ) lend themselves to boom adaptors, or any advice. It'd suck if he bought one of each and they don't match up because of size/ fittings/ strange extrusions which prevent function of either boom or scope.

What should we look for? Is a boom stand with a counterweight advised?

Scarodactyl

Re: Mix and match- recommended boom stand/ stereoscope combination?

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:22 am

I like the boom stands by Spot Imaging/Diagnostic Instruments. They are very nice. Wild and Leica ones are good too, though I suspect at least some Leica branded ones were made by DI.

Kinetochore

Re: Mix and match- recommended boom stand/ stereoscope combination?

#3 Post by Kinetochore » Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:43 pm

Thanks- will check those out!