Paraffin wax repellent- roll your own?

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
Kinetochore

Paraffin wax repellent- roll your own?

#1 Post by Kinetochore » Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:04 pm

Haven't switched on the microtome yet, my FB microtome whisperer mate has insisted I get and use paraffin wax repellent to keep the microtome and surroundings sane. She's smart so I always follow her recommendations

At AUD$99 + freight and taxes, a small bottle of paraffin wax repellent possibly represents good value. Bulk packs are about AUD $450 + freight and taxes and in total it equals less than 1L volume repellent

But a look at the MSDS suggests paraffin wax repellents are mostly white oil, naptha, a smidge of limonene and/ or terpenoids, and maybe a fragrance agent. I can mix up a litre here for about AUD$30, buy my chemist buddy a six pack of beer, my terps mate another six pack and have a good afternoon in the process

Anyone make their own paraffin wax repellent for microtome work? Any advice?

Kinetochore

Re: Paraffin wax repellent- roll your own?

#2 Post by Kinetochore » Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:42 pm

A colleague with an extensive histology background has suggested finding out what beauticians use to protect and maintain equipment they use for waxing clients

Since I'm not an accredited facility I don't need to use approved products- just ones which will do the job

Will try that as a cheaper option and let you know how it goes :D