Stages for Stereo microscope

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
einman

Stages for Stereo microscope

#1 Post by einman » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:17 pm

So I thought I would share a few pics of stages and/or devices I use to view specimens under a stereoscope. Some of these I shared previously.

More recently I purchased a Tiltable Stage from E-bay(eBay item number:295576941874). The base of the stage is sized perfectly for my Leica stand, measuring 120 mm in diameter.
I did not pay the asking price, nor should you. It required a few changes to be fully useful in my opinion.
As is, the stage will not hold position on the base. There is not enough friction. I corrected that by placing a small film of silicone around the rim of the base.
The surface of the stage is not suitable for using insect pins etc. I added a cork surface, sufficiently thick to allow pins. The cork surface is ..wait for it.. simply a coaster. You can combine more than one if you need a greater pinning depth.

These 2 small changes assisted a lot.

Scoper

Re: Stages for Stereo microscope

#2 Post by Scoper » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:31 pm

Thanks posting this.

I am currently outfitting several stereomicroscope and would love to see what various stages/holders/fixtures others have found useful.

Sure Squintsalot

#3 Post by Sure Squintsalot » Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:06 pm

I made one for pennies using a doorknob protector and a piece of PVC.

And some double-sided tape.

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:02 pm

^^ I like your rotating stage idea or birefringent specimens.

Scarodactyl

#5 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:10 am

You can use a donut magnet and a metal ball or one of these magnetic phone mounts too. https://a.co/d/bH6Rwat