Rheinberg Filters

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
jimur

Rheinberg Filters

#1 Post by jimur » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:18 am

Have any of you purchased or used the lucite Rheinberg Filters I see on Ebay? Considering price and material it seems a tempting purchase. Your thoughts and opinions please? Thanks.

jim
"You're never too old to have a happy childhood"
Leitz Wetzlar SM-LUX
Olympus IM
Canon 450D

75RR

Re: Rheinberg Filters

#2 Post by 75RR » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:21 pm

Can't say I have purchased any Rheinberg Filters but if you post a link perhaps someone can give you an opinion on them.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

jimur

#3 Post by jimur » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:31 pm

75RR wrote:Can't say I have purchased any Rheinberg Filters but if you post a link perhaps someone can give you an opinion on them.
Wasn't sure if that was allowed. Thanks for the info. This link should work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Microscope-Ima ... 3659993855
Leitz Wetzlar SM-LUX
Olympus IM
Canon 450D

desertrat

#4 Post by desertrat » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:21 pm

I bought some of this seller's darkfield, circular oblique, and oblique illumination inserts for substage condensers. They are very well made.

No experience with the Rheinberg filters, though. If I plan to try Rheinberg illumination, I would have no problem buying his products.
Rick

A/O 10 Series Microstar
A/O 4 Series Microstar
A/O 4 Series Phasestar
A/O 4 Series Apostar
A/O Cycloptic Stereo
Several old monocular scopes in more or less decrepit but usable condition

jimur

#5 Post by jimur » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:46 am

desertrat wrote:I bought some of this seller's darkfield, circular oblique, and oblique illumination inserts for substage condensers. They are very well made.

No experience with the Rheinberg filters, though. If I plan to try Rheinberg illumination, I would have no problem buying his products.
Thanks for that feed back. Not sure I would use them often but think I would like to try the technique and the price seems reasonable.
Leitz Wetzlar SM-LUX
Olympus IM
Canon 450D

RobBerdan

#6 Post by RobBerdan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:05 am

I have purchased a set of the Rheinberg filters on ebay for $30 and I think they work great!

I wrote an article on Rheinberg filters: https://www.canadiannaturephotographer. ... s2017.html

And I am including one photo of a ribbon worm below I took with a Rheinberg filters. I also combine them with DIC - I think for $30 you would be hard pressed to find a better deal for any other microscope accessory. You can make them yourself out of soft sheets of coloured plastic, but the thicker plastic filters are ideal and should last many years.
Attachments
Rheinberg_filters_comparision.jpg
Rheinberg_filters_comparision.jpg (166.16 KiB) Viewed 13141 times
Rheinberg_filters_DSC6328.jpg
Rheinberg_filters_DSC6328.jpg (110.65 KiB) Viewed 13142 times
DSC_0757.jpg
DSC_0757.jpg (181.37 KiB) Viewed 13142 times

Glycolyse

#7 Post by Glycolyse » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:02 pm

Got to love these colorful photos !

farnsy

#8 Post by farnsy » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:56 pm

It might be microscope dependent. Or perhaps expertise dependent.

I purchased them and they are nice quality, but I don't get the Rheinberg effect. Just the color of the center. The other issue I have with them is that they are just a smidge too thick to fit in my filter slot. I had to loosen the screws to get them in. I actually think something printed on the thickest transparency would be better, though it wouldn't be so easy to switch out colors.

I'm also having issues with the darkfield filters, but not related to the design or manufacture (and they are plenty thin to fit in the slot). You have to get them centered just right and get the right diameter to get a darkfield.

Ayla

#9 Post by Ayla » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:51 am

It is not mentioned that the Rheinberg filter sets that are sold on Ebay have a 13mm central patch, suitable I think for a 4X objective, but what happens if you use the same filters for other higher magnification objectives: 10X, 20 and 40X? I think they won't work. Based on the following link:

https://www.quekett.org/resources/rheinberg

For a 10X objective, the center patch should be of a larger diameter (18mm). For a 20X objective the central patch is 23mm, and the 40X has to be 26mm.

It is what I understand based on the explanation of how to build these filters.

What is your opinion?

Greg Howald

#10 Post by Greg Howald » Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:16 am

Purchase and download My Microscope Hobby by Michael Shaw from Kindle. It will teach you step by step how to make the filters. I have about fifty of them. Well worth it!

:) :) Greg

MickyFynn

#11 Post by MickyFynn » Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:43 am

I made my own out of coloured acetate overhead projector film that work just fine..they are heat resistant to boot....