Eyepiece cases

Here you can discuss all microscopy-related accessories and equipment (microtomes, filters...)
dtsh

Eyepiece cases

#1 Post by dtsh » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:38 am

I like to have a safe place to put optics into when they're not in use to protect them from getting bumped and scraped, but none of my microscope eyepieces came with much for a case. My 147's did come in two coin tubes, but aside from that everything has come to me as loose pieces so a while ago I decided to make some cases. I modelled these up in FreeCAD and printed them on my 3D printer, but they could as easily be routered out of wood, aluminum, or whatever.
Links are to the files in case anyone else wants them, they're nothing special, but they do fit the eyepieces they were designed for.

I have a set of American Optical #146 and a set of #147 (10x and 15x respectively) and the eyepieces that came with my Brinkman also fit. ( https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4445491 )
case_147.jpg
case_147.jpg (89.32 KiB) Viewed 8173 times
When I got a pair of Bausch and Lomb 15x UWF 31-15-74 eyepieces I modified the case I designed for the AO to fit the larger B+L eyepieces. ( https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4445507 )
case_B+L.jpg
case_B+L.jpg (112.22 KiB) Viewed 8173 times
Color choice is pretty random, I use whatever filament I have left over and use 5% infill typically.

What are you using to keep your eyepieces from getting damaged or dirty when they're not in use?

MichaelG.

Re: Eyepiece cases

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:10 am

dtsh wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:38 am
I like to have a safe place to put optics into when they're not in use to protect them ...
[…]

What are you using to keep your eyepieces from getting damaged or dirty when they're not in use?
Very nicely done

The best I have managed so far is a small stack of these:
https://www.plasticboxshop.co.uk/craft- ... c-box-p277

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

75RR

#3 Post by 75RR » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:11 am

That is pretty neat. What would be the material cost of making that?

Here is a link to some on sale on Ebay as a comparison: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Two-Storage- ... Sw6MxatQML
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Hobbyst46

#4 Post by Hobbyst46 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:45 am

Especially for bulky stereo microscope oculars, empty transparent plastic toothpick containers (that hold 300 picks) or seasoning containers are ok, but your colorful tandem device is much more attractive !

MicroBob

#5 Post by MicroBob » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:14 am

Nice design!
Microscope optics can easily be damaged by simply tipping them over so it is a good idea to have them in a safe place.
For stuff like this a 3D-printer is really nice: No temperature resistance needed, fairly hollow and light part, moderate precision demands. It would be a pity to transfor a nice aluminium block into a heap of swarf to produse such a box.

Bob

dtsh

#6 Post by dtsh » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:59 pm

75RR wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:11 am
That is pretty neat. What would be the material cost of making that?
Rounded up, the B+L case is 90g and the AO case is 55g, so about $3.00 and $1.75 US accordingly.

They take about 1.5-2 hours on my Prusa MK3S.

Element 56

#7 Post by Element 56 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:42 pm

I use the "Mini Lock-Top Snack Containers" from Greenbrier International Inc. They have a decent seal and two locking tabs. Used to be able get 2 of them for $1 USD but the price has gone up a little. I usually put some kimwipes or 4x4 gauze in with them and there's plenty of room for a desiccant pack if so desired. Great for objective, eyepieces, filters and whatnot.

https://www.amazon.com/Mini-Lock-Top-Sn ... B00PUUEP0Q

Kirby

Mike E.

#8 Post by Mike E. » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:25 pm

I like to have a safe place to put optics into when they're not in use to protect them from getting bumped and scraped, but none of my microscope eyepieces came with much for a case. My 147's did come in two coin tubes, but aside from that everything has come to me as loose pieces so a while ago I decided to make some cases. I modelled these up in FreeCAD and printed them on my 3D printer, but they could as easily be routered out of wood, aluminum, or whatever.
Links are to the files in case anyone else wants them, they're nothing special, but they do fit the eyepieces they were designed for.

I have a set of American Optical #146 and a set of #147 (10x and 15x respectively) and the eyepieces that came with my Brinkman also fit. ( https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4445491 )
case_147.jpg

When I got a pair of Bausch and Lomb 15x UWF 31-15-74 eyepieces I modified the case I designed for the AO to fit the larger B+L eyepieces. ( https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4445507 )
case_B+L.jpg

Color choice is pretty random, I use whatever filament I have left over and use 5% infill typically.

[/quote]
Very nicely done, and the colour coding of cases are a great idea. :)
I found a suitable jewellery case for the few microscope eyepieces I have. Small wooden cases such as these are available in craft stores as project boxes. Sadly I can't post photos :( , for some reason my present computer will not resize photos down to within acceptable limits on the website.

Element 56

#9 Post by Element 56 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:01 pm

Do you guys like wood for storing any optical components? I've gotten away from it with nearly everything because I think it increases the risk/likelihood of fungal contamination.

Curious how other feel about it?

Kirby

BramHuntingNematodes

#10 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:18 pm

Properly sealed wood should be functionally equivalent to plastic. I think the things to look out for to prevent fungal contamination is a high humidity environment regardless of the container material as well as, and this is from long experience storing tools and things in various places, temperature swings.

My B&L phase contrast set was stored in a wooden and velvet box for about 60 years and the elements within are all in a perfect state of preservation.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

Element 56

#11 Post by Element 56 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:00 pm

[quote=BramHuntingNematodes post_id=85990 time=1596824313 user_id=1990
My B&L phase contrast set was stored in a wooden and velvet box for about 60 years and the elements within are all in a perfect state of preservation.
[/quote]

Do you bother with desiccant packs?

BramHuntingNematodes

#12 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:31 pm

I haven't. I consider them like moisture capacitors and so good for evening out intermittent humidity changes so they might be useful as long as the humidity level stays low on average.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

Sir

#13 Post by Sir » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:20 am

I use film canisters, they work well but I don't think they could fit eyepieces of larger sizes

farnsy

#14 Post by farnsy » Tue May 18, 2021 9:21 pm

Sir wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:20 am
I use film canisters, they work well but I don't think they could fit eyepieces of larger sizes
I have a ton of film canisters too, that I use for holding objectives (bit of bubble wrap above and below) and I also use them for holding water samples and other small items. They really come in handy in microscopy.

Unfortunately they are just a little too small for any eyepiece I have tried with them. I'm going to have to try 3D printing these (or something like them) to have a better storage solution.

Before that, though, I need to figure out a storage container for my cover slips that will allow them to stay separate and dry off.