Catalogue of postage stamps featuring microscopes, microscopy, microscopists

Here you can suggest and discuss Websites, books, and other resource materials.
microcosmos

Catalogue of postage stamps featuring microscopes, microscopy, microscopists

#1 Post by microcosmos » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:33 am

As I also collect stamps, I started a topic in the Stampboards forum a while ago asking philatelists to post their stamps featuring microscopes/microscopy/microscopists.

It has had numerous replies since then and has numerous images of interesting stamps from many countries. You can see it here.

Some stamps have highly stylized microscope graphic designs, while others feature microscopes that are immediately recognizable as certain Zeiss models etc.

There are also nice portraits of famous microscopists, some exquisitely engraved.

I was surprised how many stamps have microscopy on them and how diverse their designs are.

I discovered a couple of articles in Micscape where other authors have previously compiled their sizeable collections of microscopy-related stamps. I have provided the links to these articles in the Stampboards topic.

The topic is still being added to by the philatelic community so hopefully it can be a reasonably comprehensive and continually updated database of existing philatelic designs and artwork on microscopy. Stamps are probably the most diverse repository of microscopy-related graphic design!

tgss

Re: Catalogue of postage stamps featuring microscopes, microscopy, microscopists

#2 Post by tgss » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:41 pm

Thanks for this microcosmos. I don't currently collect stamps, but have seen David Walker's articles in Micscape, and am interested to see the use of microscope related images on postage stamps across the world, and in the graphic design styles used. And yes, it's particularly nice to see microscopes represented that are actually recognizable as specific models.
Cheers
Tom W.

linuxusr

Re: Catalogue of postage stamps featuring microscopes, microscopy, microscopists

#3 Post by linuxusr » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:36 pm

microcosmos wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:33 am
As I also collect stamps, I started a topic in the Stampboards forum a while ago asking philatelists to post their stamps featuring microscopes/microscopy/microscopists.

It has had numerous replies since then and has numerous images of interesting stamps from many countries. You can see it here.

Some stamps have highly stylized microscope graphic designs, while others feature microscopes that are immediately recognizable as certain Zeiss models etc.

There are also nice portraits of famous microscopists, some exquisitely engraved.

I was surprised how many stamps have microscopy on them and how diverse their designs are.

I discovered a couple of articles in Micscape where other authors have previously compiled their sizeable collections of microscopy-related stamps. I have provided the links to these articles in the Stampboards topic.

The topic is still being added to by the philatelic community so hopefully it can be a reasonably comprehensive and continually updated database of existing philatelic designs and artwork on microscopy. Stamps are probably the most diverse repository of microscopy-related graphic design!
Much appreciated and enjoyed, microcosmos! One appreciates the role of microscopy in developing countries and tropical diseases. My former girlfriend tested positive for malaria in Accra, Ghana, and that diagnosis was via microscopy. She tested negative after taking artesunate, from wormword, developing by a chemist during the time of Mao as many members of PLA were dying from malaria. Artesunate is still used today but resistance is developing in Cambodia and Viet Nam. I took many screenshots of these beautiful stamps . . .
Nikon AlphaPhot 2 < Zeiss Primostar 3, Full Köhler; Axiocam 208 Color < UHD LG
Aller Anfang ist schwer.

microcosmos

#4 Post by microcosmos » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:10 am

Thanks for the replies and for sharing your personal experiences! I realise from this that those optical microscopes are actually quite cost-effective, easy to use and useful things for helping people in the real world.

I just had a thought. Some countries allow people to put their own designs on stamps that can be printed out officially and used to post letters. Has anyone tried putting a photo of his/her microscope or micrograph on a stamp??

mikemarotta

#5 Post by mikemarotta » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:09 am

microcosmos wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:33 am
As I also collect stamps, I started a topic in the Stampboards forum a while ago asking philatelists to post their stamps featuring microscopes/microscopy/microscopists. ... You can see it here.
Thanks for the outstanding link and its presentation on that discussion board. I have books about mathematics, chemistry, and pharmacy on stamps.

Also on a related topic, I have these three banknotes:
3 Banknotes.jpg
3 Banknotes.jpg (307.11 KiB) Viewed 1705 times
-----------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Technical Writer