First Binocular Microscope

Here you can suggest and discuss Websites, books, and other resource materials.
mikemarotta

First Binocular Microscope

#1 Post by mikemarotta » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:21 am

While teaching at the Lousiana Medical College (which became Tulane University), John Leonard Riddell invented the binocular microscope in 1851. He improved his models and presented a new one at a meeting of the American Society for the Advancement of Science in Cleveland, Ohio, on July 30, 1853.
On the BINOCULAR MICROSCOPE. By Prof. J. L. RIDDELL.
Univ. La., New Orleans. Read before the American Association for the Advancement of Science July 30,1853 ; Cleveland Meeting. (Communicated for the London Quarterly Journal of Microscopical Science, by the Author.) IT is proper to premise that some brief notices of the binocular microscope (devised in 1851, constructed in 1852), have already appeared in Silliman's Journal and elsewhere. I now desire to submit a few remarks and explanations to the members of the Association; and at the same time to exhibit difFerent forms of the instrument, so that the members interested in the microscope may form a definite opinion of the value and utility of the improvement.

In the smaller instrument before you this arrangement is observed. Used without eye-pieces, it gives a stereoscopic and perfectly satisfactory result. This instrument was constructed for a dissecting microscope; I use it with lenses whether plain, doublets, or achromatics, from ^ inch to 3 inches focal length.

The image is erect and orthoscopic. Objects can be viewed as opaque or transparent, and there is attached to it a flexible pipe, connected with a delicate cylinder and piston, which, in one respect, is made equivalent to a third hand. Tightening a screw, and taking the ivory termination of the flexible tube in the mouth, the focal distance of the instrument can be varied at pleasure with the breath. In very minute dissections, where the two hands are simultaneously employed with hook and needle, I have found this method of holding a focus of the greatest utility and convenience.
- Quarterly Journal of Microscopial Science 1854 p 18-24.
AAAS Microscope.jpg
AAAS Microscope.jpg (29.93 KiB) Viewed 4091 times
AAS Microscope 2.jpg
AAS Microscope 2.jpg (26.44 KiB) Viewed 4091 times
-----------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Technical Writer

DrPhoxinus

Re: First Binocular Microscope

#2 Post by DrPhoxinus » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:24 am

Thanks for the history.

I didn’t know binocular scopes were that old.

Gerard

BramHuntingNematodes

#3 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:42 am

bring back mouth controls
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

dtsh

#4 Post by dtsh » Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:00 am

BramHuntingNematodes wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:42 am
A bit weird by today's standards, but I agree pneumatic controls that didn't need the hands to operate can have utility.

Phill Brown

#5 Post by Phill Brown » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:51 am

BramHuntingNematodes wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:42 am
"...no,wait, this one goes in your mouth.."

MichaelG.

#6 Post by MichaelG. » Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:03 pm

mikemarotta wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:21 am

[…]

In the smaller instrument before you this arrangement is observed. Used without eye-pieces, it gives a stereoscopic and perfectly satisfactory result. This instrument was constructed for a dissecting microscope; I use it with lenses whether plain, doublets, or achromatics, from ^ inch to 3 inches focal length.

The image is erect and orthoscopic. Objects can be viewed as opaque or transparent, and there is attached to it a flexible pipe, connected with a delicate cylinder and piston, which, in one respect, is made equivalent to a third hand. Tightening a screw, and taking the ivory termination of the flexible tube in the mouth, the focal distance of the instrument can be varied at pleasure with the breath. In very minute dissections, where the two hands are simultaneously employed with hook and needle, I have found this method of holding a focus of the greatest utility and convenience.
- Quarterly Journal of Microscopial Science 1854 p 18-24.
What tantalising text !
… but unfortunately, neither of the images shows any detail of the pneumatics

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

MichaelG.

#7 Post by MichaelG. » Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:06 pm

Too many 'projects'

mikemarotta

#8 Post by mikemarotta » Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:43 am

MichaelG. wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:06 pm
https://collection.sciencemuseumgroup.o ... microscope
Very pretty
MichaelG.
Edit: __ and this is interesting:
https://www.quekett.org/wp-content/uplo ... opment.pdf
Thanks for the links.
Those were helpful for my files on Riddell. He was the first working scientist to publish a science fiction story.
Here
https://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/w ... =olbp56842
or here
https://www.google.com/books/edition/Or ... rQjgEACAAJ

Because he was chief melter at the New Orleans Mint, I wrote a biography for The Numismatist, and delivered a talk at an ANA convention. I also delivered a different talk about the trip to the Moon at a local science fiction convention, Armadillocon. I have intended to create a new typesetting and republication and for that commissioned some original artwork but other projects have taken precendence. Riddell was a botanist and several plants have his name in the genus, species, or variety.

Best Regards,
Mike M.
Michael E. Marotta
Technical Writer

dtsh

#9 Post by dtsh » Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:42 am

mikemarotta wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:43 am
Those were helpful for my files on Riddell. He was the first working scientist to publish a science fiction story.
I believe that would be Johanes Kepler's Somnium, published posthumously by his son in 1634.
An interesting fellow, even defended his mother in a witchcraft trial. As memory serves, he had scolded her for being a disagreeable person as a factor in people disliking her enough to accuse her of being a witch.

mikemarotta

#10 Post by mikemarotta » Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:55 pm

dtsh wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:42 am
I believe that would be Johanes Kepler's Somnium, published posthumously by his son in 1634.
Thanks. I read the Wikipedia entry, and some other citations (Physics Today, DePauw University, etc.). Those are summaries, only. Apparently, it has been kept in print by publishers who do not share it via Google Books.

Best Regards,
Mike M.
Michael E. Marotta
Technical Writer

Microscopy_is_fun

#11 Post by Microscopy_is_fun » Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:36 pm

mikemarotta wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:21 am
While teaching at the Lousiana Medical College (which became Tulane University), John Leonard Riddell invented the binocular microscope in 1851. He improved his models and presented a new one at a meeting of the American Society for the Advancement of Science in Cleveland, Ohio, on July 30, 1853.
Actually binocular (stereo)mixroscopes date back to at least 1677, when Chérubin d’Orléans introduced such a system.
https://www.leica-microsystems.com/scie ... -part-iii/

mikemarotta

#12 Post by mikemarotta » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:01 am

Microscopy_is_fun wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:36 pm
Actually binocular (stereo)mixroscopes date back to at least 1677, when Chérubin d’Orléans introduced such a system.
https://www.leica-microsystems.com/scie ... -part-iii/
Thanks for the link.
Every fact helps.

MEM
Michael E. Marotta
Technical Writer

Greg Howald

#13 Post by Greg Howald » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:55 am

A binocular microscope of this style is for sale in an antique shop in Coos Bay Oregon for $1500.00.
Greg