3 Books, One Lesson

Here you can suggest and discuss Websites, books, and other resource materials.
mikemarotta

3 Books, One Lesson

#1 Post by mikemarotta » Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:23 am

Browsing well on ABE Books, I selected two general college survey texts in microbiology and a text on light microscopy.
  • Microbiology (2nd edition), by Bruce D. Fisher, M.D., Richard A. Harvey and Pamela C. Champe, series editors; Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, (Wolters Kluwer), 2001, 2007.
    Microbiology: Principles and Applications, 2nd edition (Instructor's Edition) by Jacquelyn G. Black, Prentice Hall, 1991, 1993.
I chose them because they were relatively modern. I specifically took the second (admittedly late 20th century) because it was the only Instructor's edition of any text on the subject for sale right now. If there had been more than one, it might have taken some deeper investigation. And the price was right: ridiculously cheap. Not that much changes radically at the freshman survey level. A thousand years ago, I inherited a chemistry book that my uncle had in high school: over 85 elements and more on the way when they discover the ones they need to fill in the chart. More recently, I took an online class in astrophysics and bought a university textbook at a used book store. Published in 1995, it was hopeful that exoplanets would soon be discovered. So, we do move along. But, generally, our improvements are incremental. And at first blush, these two are fine.

As handy as they will be on my reference shelf they also showed me that I have no interest in chasing infectious diseases. For one thing, it dangerous, even if you have a sterile lab, rather than a home office. I might be interested in viewing prepared slides if I can buy some but it is not high on my list.

Fundamentals of Light Microscopy and Electron Imaging by Douglas B. Murphy, Wiley Liss, 2001.

Like the other two, there was nothing especially compelling in the selection. It seemed like a one semester college survey text and that was what I wanted.

I will say that so much of this information is actively available online that books themselves are classics. They do work when the Internet does not. You can mark them up, annotate them, put sticky-notes inside and such. And you can do that with Kindle edtions, also. I accept that the medium is merely the one that I am used to.
-----------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Technical Writer

mikemarotta

Re: 3 Books, One Lesson

#2 Post by mikemarotta » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:55 pm

An Introduction to the Optical Microscope by Savile Bradbury, Royal Microscopical Society, 1984.

This was a bit pricy compared to the other two textbooks: $25.98 total versus less than $5 each for those. And it is much thinner at 85 pages. And it is older: 1984.

That all being as it is, if a beginner started with just one guide, this would be a strong choice.
From the first introduction to types of microscopes (simple, stereo, compound) to the basics of magnification (supported by some mathematics) including diffraction, resolution, Koehler illumination, and aberrations, the writing is clear and concise.

Detailed explanation of the lens systems (objective and eyepiece), dry lenses, immersion lenses come before 20 pages of explanation on the practical use of a microscope.

The book (booklet, actually) closes with a glossary, biblography, table of equations, and a detailed index.

Not a flowchart, but "Dissatisfaction with the Image" (pages 70-74) step you through yes-no questions to chase down the sources of image degradation.
-----------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Technical Writer

DrPhoxinus

#3 Post by DrPhoxinus » Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:23 am

Michael,

In my spare time I teach courses in Genetics and Evolution, and marvel at the philosophy of Science, and how much work it took to get here.

My father-in-law had courses from Gordon Scott at Wayne State. The main building is Scott Hall.

The following link shows him with an electron microscope in

https://www.microscopy.org/images/poste ... ington.pdf

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:30 pm

The most useful book on microbiology would be called The Minefield of Microbiology : An Overview.
Microbiology suffers from entrenched theories derived from the overuse of the electron microscope for too many years. Having to kill a living being, coat it in a metal and then observe it in a vaccuum is hardly conducive to developing an understanding of the life processes of the organism.
Prior to the invention of the electron microscope, microbiologists devoted a lot of time to observing life processes but many of the theories derived from those observations came under attack by people who largely observed the structure of killed organisms, having little experience in studying the processes and transitions of living organisms.
Much can be learned from studying actual life science and many anomalies of micro organisms understood. Improved light microscopy, gene sequencing and biochemistry techniques are helping.

Chas

#5 Post by Chas » Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:04 pm

Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to read them
You might find that a '200 microscope books on USB' type thing, from ebay, is much more fun and more useful than that book!

Sylviahenson

#6 Post by Sylviahenson » Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:33 am

apochronaut wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:30 pm
The most useful book on microbiology would be called The Minefield of Microbiology : An Overview.
Microbiology suffers from entrenched theories derived from the overuse of the electron microscope for too many years. Having to kill a living being, coat it in a metal and then observe it in a vaccuum is hardly conducive to developing an understanding of the life processes of the organism.
I agree with this, I also use these books to learn biology, but until recently, I detected that there is this source phaedrus summary; where I can get the book summary, it makes my homework and studies in general much easier. I have already for several months I only get my information from here and until everything goes perfectly, I recommend you to try it because it is much more convenient and besides it is absolutely free, and if you don't want to tear up the view here you can find the books in audio format.
Much can be learned from studying actual life science and many anomalies of micro organisms understood. Improved light microscopy, gene sequencing and biochemistry techniques are helping.
Hi, I'm new to this, thanks for these tips! And I will definitely read this book.