rapid-tome, 3d printed microtome

Here you can suggest and discuss Websites, books, and other resource materials.
mete

rapid-tome, 3d printed microtome

#1 Post by mete » Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:59 am

I have come across with a quite recent (Oct 2022) paper describing a 3d printed microtome. I think it is not shared here before, so here it is.

The Rapid-Tome, a 3D-Printed Microtome, and an Updated Hand-Sectioning Method for High-Quality Plant Sectioning
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 790v1.full

SuiGenerisBrewing

Re: rapid-tome, 3d printed microtome

#2 Post by SuiGenerisBrewing » Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:08 pm

There are a number of 3D printed microtomes out there - most variations on the "spindle and bolt" hand-made versions. This is similar, but is a much better system than any other I've seen - as soon as I fix my printer I'm going to give it a try!

mete

#3 Post by mete » Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:24 pm

Some notes after I finished printing all the parts: Printing is pretty straight-forward (I used 0.2mm layer height), some part requires supports but it is easy to remove them. Only the small section catcher part has thin walls so it can get broken. The largest part is sled, the text over the it makes the removal of support somehow complicated than necessary.

My main problem is with the non-metric mechanical parts. M4 seems to be too small for the design, I will try M5 or try to modify the design for M5. It is also difficult to find M4 long screws. I thought I found the flat washer (DIN9021 d1=13 d2=37), but its height is a problem, so I think this also requires a modification.

Hobbyst46

#4 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:42 pm

mete wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:24 pm
Some notes after I finished printing all the parts: Printing is pretty straight-forward (I used 0.2mm layer height), some part requires supports but it is easy to remove them. Only the small section catcher part has thin walls so it can get broken. The largest part is sled, the text over the it makes the removal of support somehow complicated than necessary.

My main problem is with the non-metric mechanical parts. M4 seems to be too small for the design, I will try M5 or try to modify the design for M5. It is also difficult to find M4 long screws. I thought I found the flat washer (DIN9021 d1=13 d2=37), but its height is a problem, so I think this also requires a modification.
I bought long (>60mm) metric screws from China, through eBay. Not cheap, but for just a few, it was the most efficient route.

mete

#5 Post by mete » Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:34 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:42 pm
mete wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:24 pm

I bought long (>60mm) metric screws from China, through eBay. Not cheap, but for just a few, it was the most efficient route.
Yes I found on ebay but I think I first want to see how M5 fits.