American Optical Series 10 - $125.00 (Good working order, cosmetic flaws) - [SOLD]

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
dtsh

American Optical Series 10 - $125.00 (Good working order, cosmetic flaws) - [SOLD]

#1 Post by dtsh » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:19 am

It is time for me to start clearing out extra microscopes so I can make room for new ones. This one is an American Optical Series 10, these were a common workhorse in labs in North America for many years. Parts and accessories are readily available (objectives, eyepieces, darkfield condensers, polarizers, dual viewing heads, phase contrast, etc). I have a couple of these, some in better cosmetic shape and some with graduated stages, this one has a name etched into the finish on one of the feet and the paint on the stage is worn from use, but it is otherwise in good cosmetic shape.

The AO Series 10 are infinity microscopes, but an older 34mm design instead of the more common(now) 45mm. The design allows focusing by moving the objecives instead of the stage, a nice side-effect is that it is harder to damage objectives or slides through collision with one another as the objectives will come to rest against the slide instead of being forced into it.

The AO Series 10 supports Modified Koehler Illumination as set at the factory. There is some adjustability to center the illumination with centering screws, it also posesses a field iris.

I've been using this microscope myself for weeks to ensure that it's all in good working condition. Course and fine focus operate smoothly to raise and lower the objective turret and allows fine adjustment (graduated in microns).

Like many older scopes, the head can be rotated 180 degrees and if used reversed it will put the stage controls on the left. Lefty stages exist, but the only one I have is missing the slide holder assembly, so I often use them reversed.

It has a trinocular head which has a 3D printed dust cap for the phototube instead of the original aluminum one (no functional change). Diopter adjustment works smoothly (usually seized with dried grease).

This example has a 4 objective nose. The included objectives are:
4x/0.12NA Plan Achromat (Cat 1017)
10x/0.25NA Plan Achromat (Cat 1019)
40x/0.66NA Plan Achromat (Cat 1023)
100x/1.25NA Achromat (Cat 1079)

As an option I could swap out the 40x Plan Achromat for a 45x/0.66NA Achromat (Cat 1116) as the 45x Achromat provides a greater working distance (0.7 vs 0.5) for those that might need it.

The condenser is a 1.25NA Abbe with a swing out auxiliary lens for use with the 4x objective.

The illuminator is the 1036A (18W tungsten filament I believe), it has adjustments to allow centering for modified Koehler and has a built in neutral density filter to allow reducing the light intensity. Included is the 1051 power supply and 10x eyepieces (Cat 176); it includes everything needed to start viewing.

It's not a perfect instrument, but it is a fair example of an American Optical Series 10 with the minor flaws one would expect from use. Some of the things to consider with an AO10 are that it's an infinity system so you won't be able to mix and match objectives from other manufacturers such as with a 160mm finite system and that the condenser is centered at the factory; that last makes using some patch stops difficult, but doesn't hinder it as a standard brightfield microscope.

If you aren't familiar with the AO Series 10 microscope, check out the manual.
https://user.xmission.com/~psneeley/Per ... ersion.pdf

Objectives
https://user.xmission.com/~psneeley/Per ... ctives.htm

The psneely site holds a wealth of information on AO microscopes.

If you have any questions, please ask! I also invite others to kindly provide commentary, advice, and honest criticism of the microscope as I'm more interested in getting it to where it will be appreciated than just getting it gone.

I am asking $125.00 plus shipping.
I have two other examples in better cosmetic shape for which I am asking a little more, PM me if interested.
AO10_u.jpg
AO10_u.jpg (104.51 KiB) Viewed 4554 times
AO10_u_stage.jpg
AO10_u_stage.jpg (72.38 KiB) Viewed 4554 times
AO10_u_illum_condenser.jpg
AO10_u_illum_condenser.jpg (103.02 KiB) Viewed 4554 times
AO10_u_powersupply.jpg
AO10_u_powersupply.jpg (56.88 KiB) Viewed 4554 times
Last edited by dtsh on Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:50 pm, edited 7 times in total.

dtsh

Re: American Optical Series 10 - $125.00 (works, cosmetic flaws)

#2 Post by dtsh » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:21 am

The images are of a Mosquito wing, likely Ades vexans, through each objective. Images were captured afocal through a 10x AO Cat 180 eyepiece with a Raspberry Pi HQ camera. Please don't judge the microscope too harshly by my images, I am still learning the basics of imaging. They are provided to give an example of what to expect.
Images are single exposure captures, stacking seems like it could be misleading, but would give much better images. Images are barely processed, mostly due to my ignorance.
mosquito_wing_0x.jpg
mosquito_wing_0x.jpg (78.35 KiB) Viewed 4553 times
4x objective
mosquito_wing_4x.jpg
mosquito_wing_4x.jpg (61.88 KiB) Viewed 4553 times
10x objective
mosquito_wing_10x.jpg
mosquito_wing_10x.jpg (119.79 KiB) Viewed 4553 times
40x objective
mosquito_wing_40x.jpg
mosquito_wing_40x.jpg (124.7 KiB) Viewed 4553 times
100x objective
mosquito_wing_100x.jpg
mosquito_wing_100x.jpg (91.49 KiB) Viewed 4553 times

apochronaut

#3 Post by apochronaut » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:25 am

Note that the field stop shows a yellow diffraction band, the hallmark of fine compensating optics. Don't let the advertising of the pushy companies fool you. ALL microscope optical systems are compensated. Some claim in the objective, some claim elsewhere. It doesn't actually matter where, as long as the optics are fully compensated. If your microscope shows a blue band, then it has correcting optics and you never know how good those corrections are!

dtsh

#4 Post by dtsh » Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:19 am

Here's an image of a tick hypostome taken through this scope. This is an image stack!
https://www.microbehunter.com/microscop ... 22#p105322

DrPhoxinus

#5 Post by DrPhoxinus » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:53 pm

Having two AO 10s in my collection as well as experiencing the kindness of dtsh, I recommend this microscope and the seller for any newbie. You just can’t get the plan optical quality for that little money

Gerard

dtsh

#6 Post by dtsh » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:07 pm

It was pointed out to me that knowing the location might be helpful. This microscope is in Wisconsin USA, so shipping in the continental US would be the most affordable.

And thank you both for your comments.
Last edited by dtsh on Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

lorez2

#7 Post by lorez2 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:33 pm

If I were not downsizing myself I would grab this deal in a microsecond. The price is hard to beat and the cosmetic flaws are a sign of a long and reliable service.

lorez
Nikon 80i

dtsh

#8 Post by dtsh » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:51 am

Some stacked images of a section of Chrysops spp. (deerfly) wing.

https://www.microbehunter.com/microscop ... 60#p105560

MicroBob

#9 Post by MicroBob » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:02 pm

Hi together,
to me it is strange to see how much discussion there is around topics like "which AmBresserscopemex china microscope should I buy?" when at the same time good expandable microscopes are on the used market for 1/2 or 1/4 the price! Where for a Bresser or Amscope or whatever microscope it is questionable whether plan objectives or trinocular tube are available they are already included here. And there are accessories that would even make it attractive for a collector.
I hope it goes to a beginning microscopist who values it and enjoys this warped price structure.

The signs of careful use on the table are in tendency more of a good sign, it has not been put into a cupboard eraly in it's life because it was a bad one or got damaged. I have bought lots of used things and frequently the best looking had the most serious faults.

For this price you would get about 1/2 trinocular tube or 2 Plan objectives for a Zeiss Standard, no microscope, by the way... :!:

So - Amscope fans - who grabs it?

Bob

Scarodactyl

#10 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:55 pm

Yeah, it's a bit nuts to me it hasn't sold yet. These are properly good scopes.

75RR

#11 Post by 75RR » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:15 pm

Perhaps it has something to do with the description.

'Excellent working order with minor signs of wear' might serve you better than (works, cosmetic flaws)

If that fails to entice incipient Amscope buyers then you might want to include two 25x eyepieces and claim 2500x magnification ;)
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

hans

#12 Post by hans » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:37 pm

MicroBob wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:02 pm
The signs of careful use on the table are in tendency more of a good sign, it has not been put into a cupboard eraly in it's life because it was a bad one or got damaged. I have bought lots of used things and frequently the best looking had the most serious faults.
This has been my experience also -- best luck overall with ones that are well-used looking with tags and stickers from asset tracking at a large institution and regular professional service. That way any common issues like delaminations, burnt lamp sockets, worn/broken guides/gears, etc. are more likely to have been discovered and replaced with newer parts while still supported by the manufacturer.

dtsh

Re: American Optical Series 10 - $125.00 (Good working order, cosmetic flaws)

#13 Post by dtsh » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:47 pm

Thanks for the support everyone.
75RR wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:15 pm
'Excellent working order with minor signs of wear' might serve you better than (works, cosmetic flaws)
I considered several ways of describing it and was unhappy with all of them for one reason or another; I have since edited the title based on your suggestion.

patta

#14 Post by patta » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:13 am

Am I wrong or there is a "exotic is better" syndrome in microscopy?

Americans are uninterested on a Plan AO. Wishing for an Olympus instead (or a "Leica").
Russians like AO but hate Lomos. Germans love Lomo, Leica meh. Japaneses want Zeiss. Chineses, only Nikon strictly made in Japan. British throw away their Vickers, to get older Wild.
Shipping and import taxes enjoy the traffic.

apochronaut

#15 Post by apochronaut » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:06 pm

Fear is a major player. There is no devil, only fear. Most people fear the unknown.
Fear of the unknown is reduced during the purchase of an on-line mass marketed microscope through the use of product photos displaying fresh looking cosmetics with a style that seems ergonomic, the use of familiar blanket terms ; nothing fancy but led rocks supreme...NASA uses leds, , support videos, newness, confusing arrays of stuff in a shell game giving the illusion of a broad choice , bogus sale prices, many multiple sales having taken place, testimonials giving the illusion of there being a community out there that one is part of, unboxing, reviews. Reviews are really important because they are so well done and authoratative.

Despite your scope being capable of outperforming new microscopes of 4 times it's price, it is hard to soften the fear factor of the gullible. They need trending and a kind of herd around them, that have duly lined up in single file and traversed a worn path to the cliff edge.

Maybe you should take a leaf from the book that the online scope marketers use and sell your scope in a kind of advert with all the fixin's................ The original, from the inventor of the infinity corrected transmitted light microscope, made in America, all metal contruction, ergonomic design, unique constant height double layer stage ....no yours is a triple layer in fact, quick convertible xy slide carrier with precision machined alluminum coaxial controls, all metal gears , all glass lenses, anti-reflection coatings, R.M.S. objectives and eyepieces, 360 degree rotateable parallax adjusted Jenscht wide field viewing head, remotely placed Köhler type illumination system for a cooler operation, ball bearing construction, one handed slide carrier, reagent resistant attractive laboratory grade two tone epoxy finish, 1 micron fine focus, floating nosepiece to protect objectives and slides, cork non slip and vibration resistant feet, convenient one hand grip on the arm for easy transport, Oh and don't forget the abbe condenser. Abbe condensers have been used by most of the world renowned microscopists; you wouldn't want to miss the opportunity to mention the abbe condenser, mildew and mold resistant lubricants used throughout

Available accessories include more than 30 different objective choices, 5 eyepiece pairs, measuring equipment , 7 substage condenser choices..... did I mention that one if them is an abbe condenser ? , trinocular head with multiple camera choices, teaching bridge, illuminated teaching head, choice of left or right handed stage and slide controls

Junkyardkahrs

#16 Post by Junkyardkahrs » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:08 am

I am interested. I think I don’t have enough posts (zero) to DM you though. Can you DM me?

John
Motic BA300 phase
Leitz SM POL

JeffB

#17 Post by JeffB » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:09 pm

I'm interested, also. I have to ask a question or two - PM incoming.

dtsh

#18 Post by dtsh » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:36 pm

Thank you all, this one is gone.
I have a couple more as I stated early on that will be listed soon. With this one off my bench, I can pull the next one down and go over it in the same way.