Japanese folding WWII Army microscope

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
wstenberg

Japanese folding WWII Army microscope

#1 Post by wstenberg » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:03 pm

This a Japanese Tiyoda MKQ folding microscope used by the Imperial Japanese Army in WWII. It was brought back by a US soldier as a souvenir during the American Occupation of Japan. The mirror is not original, but everything else seems intact. It probably hasn't been cleaned since 1945, but I did lubricate it and all parts move freely as intended.
An interesting piece of history, and perhaps with restoration, a useful folding, field microscope.
$150 plus shipping from Oregon, USA.
Attachments
Untitled3.jpg
Untitled3.jpg (278.53 KiB) Viewed 1730 times
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar

stitchy.mitch

Re: Japanese folding WWII Army microscope

#2 Post by stitchy.mitch » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:21 am

So you did end up finding one!

wstenberg

Re: Japanese folding WWII Army microscope

#3 Post by wstenberg » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:27 am

I actually found two. I bought this one first, then found another one. The second one has the wooden case and is in great condition and I'm keeping it.

From the serial numbers, my keeper version was probably made right after the war, while this one was made right in the middle of the Pacific War. I hate to get rid of it, but all of my microscope shelves are full!
William
Astoria, Oregon

Zeiss Axiomat
Zeiss Stereomikroskop
Zeiss Tessovar