WTB Physitemp BFS MP-3/MP-5 Freezing Stage Controller and Stage

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
myxomop

WTB Physitemp BFS MP-3/MP-5 Freezing Stage Controller and Stage

#1 Post by myxomop » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:27 am

Hello MH,

I am seeking to replicate a home setup like this one:

I already own an American Optical/Spencer 880 microtome. The sales reps at PhysiTemp tell me that the MP-3 and MP-5 (as well as the older TC equivalents, but they're much larger and heavier) are the only two units whose stage sizes will work with my microtome model.

Looking for a fully functional unit, no as-is or for parts. Also happy to receive any insights on how to build my own pump and tank unit. The older ones made by Physitemp are enormous and overkill for my use, and the newer ones are $650. I think I should basically be able to get away with a DIY fishtank kind of thing. The rep says the unit just needs to pump out 1000ml per minute, which can be roughly approximated by laying a piece of tubing over a washbasin, and ensuring that a three-inch stream leaves the tubing completely horizontally before losing altitude.

Many Thanks in Advance,

-myxomop

Hobbyst46

Re: WTB Physitemp BFS MP-3/MP-5 Freezing Stage Controller and Stage

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:47 am

IMO, to cool the stage of a microscope, a Peltier-effect device would be safer and more compact and easier to use than a combination of running water (or pumped water) and a Physitemp (or other) controller.

myxomop

#3 Post by myxomop » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:10 am

the stage that the controller freezes is not the microscope stage, but the microtome stage, which is where sections are prepared. once sliced, they needn't remain frozen, and in fact ought to return to room temperature.

myxomop

#4 Post by myxomop » Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:20 am

bump. still searching, unsuccessfully, after all these years...

myxomop

#5 Post by myxomop » Wed May 31, 2023 8:27 am

bumping again. the multi-year search continues...