Like to buy a Ring adapter for AO stereo zoom

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
Tombk

Like to buy a Ring adapter for AO stereo zoom

#1 Post by Tombk » Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:48 pm

I am about to get an American Optical stereo 0.7 to 3 zoom 569 microscope. I’d like to be able to attach a ring illuminator to it. So I need an adapter that would enable me to do this. I found an adapter online for $60, which seems a bit much for a small plastic ring. Does anybody happen to have one of these they would be able to sell me? I can’t find a manual online that provides specifications of what the diameter and type of threading needs to be. So this would have to be a piece that you already know fits the model of microscope I am going to get.

apochronaut

Re: Like to buy a Ring adapter for AO stereo zoom

#2 Post by apochronaut » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:21 pm

The AO microscopes were made in a time before ring illuminators were widespread. The only ones made were a fluorescent type that was attached with a thread on adapter that screwed into the large thread in the bottom. Most modern led ringlights are attached with three thumbscrews that tighten against the objective housing.
The AO objective housing is tapered and not round. The out of round dimension isn't that big a problem because you will find a comfortable location for each of the three thumbscrews but the taper is a problem. You will have to drill a shallow relief into the housing for the ends of the mounting screws to sink into.

Some of them you might be able to mount with the original large flange screw but they are not a common item.

The bottom of the 569 housing is about 2 1/2" across, so a little more than 63mm, so a ringlight that fits with 3 thumbscrews will need to be 65mm, maybe larger.
edit. I just measured it and because the objective housing is more or less rectangular, in order for a ringllight to fit over the housing, it will have to be larger than the largest diagonal dimension or 85mm.

The original ringlight screw adapter for a Cycloptic is a different size. That's the only one I see on ebay right now. AO used primarily imperial measure screws and threads. The thread in the bottom is 1 7/8" or very close to 48mm and very fine. I haven't measured the thread pitch. An inch length of threaded 1 7/8" o.d. pipe would make a nice stubb to fit a more common 50 or 55mm ringlight to.
Last edited by apochronaut on Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Scarodactyl

#3 Post by Scarodactyl » Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:10 pm

Iirc the 569 uses a different thread than the 570, right? Or am I wrong, I know they have different 2x aux lenses.
This would be a good usecase for 3d printing.

Tombk

#4 Post by Tombk » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:51 pm

Thanks Apochronaut. The piece I found online is from a company. I don’t know whether we are supposed to refrain from mentioning companies or linking to product pages. If it’s allowed, I can share the name of the company and/or the link to the product page. I like your idea of making one myself from PVC.

apochronaut

#5 Post by apochronaut » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:04 am

Correct Scarodactyl. The 569 or "B" power body uses a # 567 2X aux. objective and the 570 or "C" power body uses a # 577 2X . The difference must be optical though , not mechanical because they share some other aux. objectives.

I will gauge that thread, because even if it is 1 7/8" x 16 or something like that, it is so close to 48mm that a 48mm .75 $9.00 , Chinese vapour window would probably thread in there enough to work as a round collar to attach a ringlight to. Something like this.https://www.ebay.com/itm/253689458886?h ... SwsZtc4Xzp.

Another idea would be to find a trashed aux. lens and just use the housing. I'll bet there are thousands of those around due to soldering.

dtsh

#6 Post by dtsh » Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:01 am

I have an AO flourescent illuminator that clamps onto the objective end of a stero microscope, but I don't know for certain if it fits the 569. If you're interested I can take some measurements and photos.

Scarodactyl

#7 Post by Scarodactyl » Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:27 am

I actually have a roached 577s which I'd love to have out of my way. It is...extremely roached though, something corroded the hell out of it.

apochronaut

#8 Post by apochronaut » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:02 am

Scarodactyl wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:27 am
I actually have a roached 577s which I'd love to have out of my way. It is...extremely roached though, something corroded the hell out of it.
That sounds like a great idea.
I measured the thread and it is either 1 7/8" x 32 or 48mm x .75 The two are so close that I couldn't really see any major difference but I didn't bother to magnify the threads much. I feel about 95% sure one of those 9.00 vapour shields would thread in and make a great clamping ring. They even have a channel on them tailor made.

Tombk

#9 Post by Tombk » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:52 am

Scarodactyl wrote:
I am too much of a newb to parse some of what you wrote. I don’t know what a 577s is or whether a corroded one would work for my purposes. But Apochronaut seems to think it would. Although, they then mention a 9.00 vapor shield, another item about which I know nothing.

If the 577s would attach to my scope and allow me to add a ring light, that would be wonderful, and I’d be happy to take it off your hands. How much would you want for it?

MichaelG.

#10 Post by MichaelG. » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:42 am

This ring illuminator looks fairly basic, but the price is very reasonable.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371860462227

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

mrsonchus

#11 Post by mrsonchus » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:18 am

MichaelG. wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:42 am
This ring illuminator looks fairly basic, but the price is very reasonable.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371860462227

MichaelG.
That's the type I use and it really is very good - the price is amazing too!
John B

MichaelG.

#12 Post by MichaelG. » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:51 am

Thanks for the endorsement, John

This listing has better illustrations: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192350048525
… it certainly looks a bargain; and it’s even cheaper with an Australian plug !!

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

apochronaut

#13 Post by apochronaut » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:34 pm

The listing doesn't give a diameter or have I missed it. What an odd thing to leave out. In order to clamp onto the blank housing of a discarded aux. lens he will need a 48mm minimum center hole. That one looks like it might be. What is the actual dimension, John?
I found another listing that gives a 60mm i.d.

apochronaut

#14 Post by apochronaut » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:54 pm

Tombk wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:52 am
Scarodactyl wrote:
I am too much of a newb to parse some of what you wrote. I don’t know what a 577s is or whether a corroded one would work for my purposes. But Apochronaut seems to think it would. Although, they then mention a 9.00 vapor shield, another item about which I know nothing.

If the 577s would attach to my scope and allow me to add a ring light, that would be wonderful, and I’d be happy to take it off your hands. How much would you want for it?
The reference to 567 or 577 is to 2X aux. lenses that screw into the bottom thread on the AO stereozooms. The housing of one of those, the lower part of which is 48mm in diameter would make an excellent stub to mount your illuminator onto. You could use Scarodactyl's trashed one. Just take out the bad lenses by removing one set ring.
The reference to the vapour shield is to a window that screws into the same bottom thread to guard the lenses from damage from solder fumes. The original part is rare and usually too expensive but one of the Chinese ones on ebay will probably work and provide a similar mounting stub as the aux. lens housing.
Another option is to try to thread a piece of 1 7/8" o.d. pvc in there.

You will need to put something in there to provide a round, approx. 50mm stub in order to mount the light on. The main objective housing is too large to mount an off the shelf illuminator onto at 85mm , although I received an email from a factory in China that makes all kinds of microscope illuminators about 4 months ago, letting me know that they could do any custom sizes.
I never pursued a price quote because I found a better solution.

MichaelG.

#15 Post by MichaelG. » Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:39 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:34 pm
The listing doesn't give a diameter or have I missed it. What an odd thing to leave out. In order to clamp onto the blank housing of a discarded aux. lens he will need a 48mm minimum center hole. That one looks like it might be. What is the actual dimension, John?
The second listing that I posted certainly gives the diameter and, as mentioned, more useful pictures.
… The ‘Australian plug’ version is winging its way to me [at that price I should be able to afford to fit a U.K. plug]

MichaelG.

Edit: __ The ‘detailed description’ in my first link also gives the diameter.
Too many 'projects'

apochronaut

#16 Post by apochronaut » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:46 pm

I was talking about the listing, not you. A lot of the cheaper ebay listings are by jobbers who are simply selling whatever. It might be microscope parts and then the next item on their list, birthday candles. They sometimes leave out the most critical information because they know little or have been provided with little information about what they are selling.

Scarodactyl

#17 Post by Scarodactyl » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:01 pm

I also have a ton of new in box LED ring lights. If you're in the US I can send one with the ruined aux lens inexpensively.

MichaelG.

#18 Post by MichaelG. » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:15 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:46 pm
I was talking about the listing, not you. […]
It never crossed my mind that you might be talking about me.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

apochronaut

#19 Post by apochronaut » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:06 am

The lady doth protest too much methinks.

mrsonchus

#20 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:26 am

apochronaut wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:34 pm
Here's an image of mine, the part that fixes onto the objective is of 62.5mm diameter.
For example the objective of my Oly SZH is 60mm outer diameter and this light fits it very nicely.
John B

MichaelG.

#21 Post by MichaelG. » Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:57 am

apochronaut wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:06 am
The lady doth protest too much methinks.
What a ridiculous comment ^^^

You wrote:
The listing doesn't give a diameter or have I missed it.
and I clarified for you

Nothing further was needed …. but you came back with:
I was talking about the listing, not you.
Please let’s not continue this nonsense !

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

MichaelG.

#22 Post by MichaelG. » Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:04 am

mrsonchus wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:26 am
Here's an image of mine
Oh well … I have evidently ordered a different model

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

mrsonchus

#23 Post by mrsonchus » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:44 am

MichaelG. wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:04 am
mrsonchus wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:26 am
Here's an image of mine
Oh well … I have evidently ordered a different model

MichaelG.
Only slightly - and I can think of a couple of advantages for your version, the separate power control gives more versatility and perhaps even more useful - the ringlight's body is consequently without the bulk of the power control and is therefore able to be rotated if as in my case you have an objective rotator, without as much restriction, merely the input-jack to contend with. Given the choice I'd likely go for your one - and the price - well, the controller is worth more than that on it's own!

Let us know how it goes if you get a chance.
John B

MichaelG.

#24 Post by MichaelG. » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:46 am

Will do

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Tombk

#25 Post by Tombk » Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:12 pm

Scarodactyl, Thank you. I have a ring light I got from AmScope, so I only need the adaptor ring. Would you be willing to sell me that rusted out lens you mentioned? I do live in the US. (I wrote a PM about this, but it's been sitting for hours in my Outbox, so I don't know whether it'll send or not.)

Tombk

#26 Post by Tombk » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:43 pm

Scarodactyl, I had bought a ring light with a plastic 48mm ring, that kept popping off when I tried to screw it in place. But I hadn’t tried to wrestle it into place until I read your last post. I was worried about damaging my scope. But having heard that you used “a little effort” to attach what sounds like a similar adaptor, I tried a bit harder and was able to get it on far enough to stay in place and hold my ring light! If I pull on it with any force, it pops off, but it’s firm enough to hold the ring light.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I’ll try to take a picture and post it.

Tombk

#27 Post by Tombk » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:47 pm

Here are some pics
Full scope .jpeg
Full scope .jpeg (133.71 KiB) Viewed 6383 times
Here’s a closer view of the ring light
Close up of light ring.jpeg
Close up of light ring.jpeg (104.15 KiB) Viewed 6383 times

MichaelG.

#28 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:29 pm

MichaelG. wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:46 am
Will do
The ring light arrived safely, and appears to be good value for money.
The power supply output is smoothly variable over the [nominal] range 10 to 12 Volts, which covers ‘very dim’ to ‘very bright’. … There is no obvious visible flicker but; viewed on the oscilloscope there is some high frequency noise [which may prove troublesome to a camera]
The LEDs are suitably angled to provide even illumination at my typical working distances.

Build quality is a bit ‘lightweight’ but seems adequate.
Unfortunately it is just the wrong size to clamp directly to the nose of my Nachet NS50, so I need to devise a suitable adapter before I can do any serious testing.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'