WTB Vintage Monocular Microscope

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
Mr Galasphere

WTB Vintage Monocular Microscope

#1 Post by Mr Galasphere » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:29 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for a vintage monocular microscope. Nothing too fancy. Just something in nice condition with decent optics. Would be nice to have an Abbe condenser. Mirror illumination is OK.

I have been browsing ebay for a while and have seen some possibilities. Most offerings are dismissed due to really poor condition, unreasonably high prices, or crazy high shipping charges. It would also have more confidence purchasing from someone with knowledge of microscopes.

I anyone has a spare to sell or has any suggestions of makes/models to look out for, please let me know.

Thanks

dtsh

Re: WTB Vintage Monocular Microscope

#2 Post by dtsh » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:38 pm

Mr Galasphere wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:29 pm
Hi,

I'm looking for a vintage monocular microscope. Nothing too fancy. Just something in nice condition with decent optics. Would be nice to have an Abbe condenser. Mirror illumination is OK.

I have been browsing ebay for a while and have seen some possibilities. Most offerings are dismissed due to really poor condition, unreasonably high prices, or crazy high shipping charges. It would also have more confidence purchasing from someone with knowledge of microscopes.

I anyone has a spare to sell or has any suggestions of makes/models to look out for, please let me know.

Thanks
Your location will likely matter, but are any of these appealing?
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/132380899 - A black-body Spencer.
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/132675491 - A PZO
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/132749935 - A B&L

Mr Galasphere

#3 Post by Mr Galasphere » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:41 pm

I forgot about Goodwill. Thanks

Those are the type of scopes I'm looking for.

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:20 pm

Mr Galasphere wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:41 pm
I forgot about Goodwill. Thanks

Those are the type of scopes I'm looking for.
A couple of comments , since I am familiar with all of those scopes.
All don't seem to be heavily used, so the likliehood of the rack and pinion gears being worn is low. Backlash in the rack and pinion gearsets is a common issue with older heavily used scopes.
The Spencer is fitted with a Bausch & Lomb eyepiece, which based on the profile looks to be a 10X W.F.. It should work as well with the Spencer objectives.
The PZO has a fourth 5X scanning objective that the others do not have. I don't think it is the original case.
The eyepiece situation for the Bausch & Lomb looks dicey. The 5X sitting on the table appears to be missing the eyelens section and the 10X in the case may be as well, since it is upside down.Also a cracked plano mirror.

If I were choosing one, I would go with the PZO, mainly due to the extra objective. Both the Spencer and B & L have separable/divisible 10X objrctives. You unscrew the bottom lens of the 10X to get a 5X scanning objective, then put the section back on for 10X. It was a budget feature for basic or student scopes. A dedicated 5X objective is much better obviously.
Any parts required now or in future would be easier to obtain for the two American scopes.
Optically, they are all good for their day.
If those don't work out: I have many similar and some 4 objective versions that are really nice. All serviced. P.M. me if you like.

Dubious

#5 Post by Dubious » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:47 pm

How much are you willing to spend? If possible, I would get something with both an X-Y stage and a condenser.

Mr Galasphere

#6 Post by Mr Galasphere » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:52 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:20 pm

A couple of comments , since I am familiar with all of those scopes.
All don't seem to be heavily used, so the likliehood of the rack and pinion gears being worn is low. Backlash in the rack and pinion gearsets is a common issue with older heavily used scopes.
The Spencer is fitted with a Bausch & Lomb eyepiece, which based on the profile looks to be a 10X W.F.. It should work as well with the Spencer objectives.
The PZO has a fourth 5X scanning objective that the others do not have. I don't think it is the original case.
The eyepiece situation for the Bausch & Lomb looks dicey. The 5X sitting on the table appears to be missing the eyelens section and the 10X in the case may be as well, since it is upside down.Also a cracked plano mirror.

If I were choosing one, I would go with the PZO, mainly due to the extra objective. Both the Spencer and B & L have separable/divisible 10X objrctives. You unscrew the bottom lens of the 10X to get a 5X scanning objective, then put the section back on for 10X. It was a budget feature for basic or student scopes. A dedicated 5X objective is much better obviously.
Any parts required now or in future would be easier to obtain for the two American scopes.
Optically, they are all good for their day.
If those don't work out: I have many similar and some 4 objective versions that are really nice. All serviced. P.M. me if you like.
Thanks for the observations. Those were things I either missed or hadn't even considered.
I definitely have a lot to learn.

75RR

#7 Post by 75RR » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:59 pm

Mr Galasphere wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, why are you looking for such a microscope?

Is it as a Field Microscope for yourself or perhaps as a Starter for a young beginner?

If so, there may be better options.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Mr Galasphere

#8 Post by Mr Galasphere » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:06 pm

75RR wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:59 pm
Mr Galasphere wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, why are you looking for such a microscope?

Is it as a Field Microscope for yourself or perhaps as a Starter for a young beginner?

If so, there may be better options.
The scope is for my personal use.
The main reason is I enjoy using vintage equipment. I have a couple of vintage telescopes. They are well built (no plastic) and have good objective lenses. They have their limitations but I find them a joy to use.
Monocular scopes are fine for me because I do not have stereoscopic vision. On a binocular scope I can only focus with one eye at a time so the extra optics is wasted on me.

Dubious

#9 Post by Dubious » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:54 pm

Fair enough. I would still get one otherwise fully equipped, though, if you can, reasonably high end for its day.

75RR

#10 Post by 75RR » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:50 am

Perhaps a Polarizing Petrographic microscope would hit the spot?

http://earth2geologists.net/Microscopes/LeitzScopes.htm

Mr Galasphere

#11 Post by Mr Galasphere » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:00 pm

I definitely would like one with a condenser and x-y stage.
A Polarizing Petrographic microscope is a bit specialized for now. A general purpose biological microscope would work best for me.

EYE C U

#12 Post by EYE C U » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:10 pm

GO BINOCULAR.

75RR

#13 Post by 75RR » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:26 pm

EYE C U wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:10 pm
GO BINOCULAR.
Mr Galasphere wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:06 pm
Monocular scopes are fine for me because I do not have stereoscopic vision. On a binocular scope I can only focus with one eye at a time so the extra optics is wasted on me.
https://www.mediacollege.com/3d/depth-p ... /test.html

Mr Galasphere

#14 Post by Mr Galasphere » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:55 pm

Technically I have strabismus: a crossed eye. I had surgery as a young child to try and balance the eye muscles. While the condition improved, it was not fully corrected. There is really no advantage for me to have a binocular microscope.

EYE C U

#15 Post by EYE C U » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:40 am

UNDERSTAND.. i know i have to force my eyes to combine the image if i don't use it for months but takes about a minute and i am good till i stop again

charlie g

#16 Post by charlie g » Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:40 am

Hi, Galasphere, where you are located impacts the shipping fees..let know or PM. I have a few vintage stands in their original cases...With a variety of magnification speced oculars, mech. stages,. slides/coverslips, immersion oil, etc. .

I'm fingerlakes/US. btw, I love my two refractor telescopes..but fingerlakes has 'a cloud machine' often going. good luck with your quest, charlie g

mikemarotta

#17 Post by mikemarotta » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:56 pm

dtsh wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:38 pm
Your location will likely matter, but are any of these appealing?
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/ ...
Thanks for the recommendation. I sort of knew about the online presence of Goodwill from a magazine article last year, but it never occurred to me to search there.
I much prefer that to Amazon or eBay.

Best Regards,
Mike M.
-----------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Technical Writer

charlie g

#18 Post by charlie g » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:29 am

Hi again, Mr.Galasphere ( hello mike too)...again I advise you..."sold as is"..."not a tested instrument"...you are rolling dice to purchase a "Goodwill" microscope...BTW...just the series of evident flaws in these student microscopes should raise caution to probable greater performance flaws within these optical instruments. You need a vetted microscope...you need someone who very recently used the microscope...to purchase a microscope. my sense of the "Goodwill" optical offers. charlie g happy hunting for a stand.

josmann

#19 Post by josmann » Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:29 am

charlie g wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:29 am
you are rolling dice to purchase a "Goodwill" microscope...
Isn’t the best part of buying vintage scopes? The gambling rush? :lol:
The highest quality live-streamed microscopy in the world.
Sundays around 8PST: https://www.youtube.com/@diettoms/streams
Occasionally (for now): https://www.twitch.tv/diettoms

Join the Discord: https://discord.gg/FgpUUnJaSE