WR Prior Microscope - 1951

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
NickJohn

WR Prior Microscope - 1951

#1 Post by NickJohn » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:38 pm

Hi,

Yes, I'm very new here! I've used forum's before, but for other things. :D

I'm being cheeky and asking a question to any member that knows/understands WR Prior microscopes. This particular model was made in 1951.
I've obtained one, legitimately, from my father, who bought it around 30 years ago, when he worked at Brooke Bond Oxo factory, in Hertfordshire. Closed down now for 30 years.

This particular model was 'apparently' owned by John Brooke (Brooke Bond) although I have no records to prove this. (I believe the factory that held any such records, in Bishops Stortford, was burnt down in the '80's). Although my parents, who both worked at Brooke Bond told me this, I have no proof.

It's in superb condition. Not mint, there are a few imperfections.
But my question is, is this something of value to anyone? And basically, anyone with knowledge know what a proposed value would be?

I've searched all over the 'net for information, but drawn a blank. I do know, from the pictures I've seen on the net of similar models, this one appears to be engineered to much greater standards than others. I'm an engineer myself and the quality of engineering workmanship going into the brass slide/components is outstanding.
Maybe they're not worth huge sums, this model appears very well engineered.

Anybody with knowledge or who'd have any information they can please share, I'd be very interested.

Hope this is OK to post here.

A few images.

apochronaut

Re: WR Prior Microscope - 1951

#2 Post by apochronaut » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:05 am

You might try one of the microscope clubs or groups in the U.K. I'm sure there would be members that would know everything Prior. Some may be on this forum too.

Prior still exists as Prior Scientific, known now for precision stages and micromanipulators mainly. The last microscope I have seen from them was one of the better Chinese made polarizing microscopes, badged for Prior. It is possible they have some archives but they have had several fires.

Searching on line for Prior catalogue, Prior manual, Prior brochure may bring ip something and often deaiers that used to sell their scopes will still have some literature.

LouiseScot

Re: WR Prior Microscope - 1951

#3 Post by LouiseScot » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:36 am

It's just a collector's item really - worth what someone is prepared to pay for it! There's a Prior scope currently on Ebay, with case and various bits.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203822230141 ... BMjpv8wqRg

Yours maybe worth half as much, at a guess...

Louise
A Nikon CF plan 20x; A Swift 380T; A DIY infinity corrected focus rail system with a 40x/0.65 Olympus Plan, a 10x/0.30 Amscope Plan Fluor, and a 20x/0.75 Nikon Plan Apo