WTB AO 1031 In-base Illuminator

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
GerryR

WTB AO 1031 In-base Illuminator

#1 Post by GerryR » Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:50 pm

Looking for this in-base transformer illuminator for a Series 10 microscope, at a reasonable price, of course. I'm in Virginia, USA so I don't want to pay for overseas shipping, etc.

dtsh

Re: WTB AO 1031 In-base Illuminator

#2 Post by dtsh » Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:27 pm

I have one in good shape, but it's missing the lamp and lamp socket.I figure it's unlikely you have the lamp socket, but if there's a chance to get parts I can't use to someone who can, I figure it's worth mentioning.

I have had a couple of them, but if you have a 1036A it is pretty easy to convert to LED.
Here's a thread I started documenting how I do it: viewtopic.php?t=13558

GerryR

#3 Post by GerryR » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:19 am

dtsh wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:27 pm
I have one in good shape, but it's missing the lamp and lamp socket.I figure it's unlikely you have the lamp socket, but if there's a chance to get parts I can't use to someone who can, I figure it's worth mentioning.

I have had a couple of them, but if you have a 1036A it is pretty easy to convert to LED.
Here's a thread I started documenting how I do it: viewtopic.php?t=13558
PM me on what you would like for it and how you would like to be paid. The lamp and socket should be fairly easy to replicate. Thank you for responding.

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:58 pm

The last I heard, the original socket for the 1031 illuminator was unobtainable as a stock item from the manufacturer. There may be some n.o.s. ones available somewhere, like a former AO dealer or scientific bulb dealer. They were a custom porcelain socket built to fit into a very tight space and hold a halogen pin base bulb at a 45° angle. The reason those 1031 illuminators show up without sockets is because they overheated due to poor maintenance, which caused further overheating and poorer contact, eventually leading to failure. Socket gets removed and no replacement, so the incomplete illuminator goes surplus. Retrofitting another socket into that space would be tricky because of the way they slide precisely into a porcelain sleeve. If the porcelain sleeve was removed entrely another style of small pin socket, perhaps one of the mica types such as are used on the 410 could squeeze in there on a custom bracket but the HLX 64250 watt bulb is too long to fit vertically or horizontally in the bulb well and it will still have to mount at 45° in order to center the filament.

Anyway, I have a few kicking around here plus some entirely functional illuminators. I am in Canada. Shipping to the U.S. will be about 20.00.

GerryR

#5 Post by GerryR » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:25 am

apochronaut wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:58 pm
The last I heard, the original socket for the 1031 illuminator was unobtainable as a stock item from the manufacturer. There may be some n.o.s. ones available somewhere, like a former AO dealer or scientific bulb dealer. They were a custom porcelain socket built to fit into a very tight space and hold a halogen pin base bulb at a 45° angle. The reason those 1031 illuminators show up without sockets is because they overheated due to poor maintenance, which caused further overheating and poorer contact, eventually leading to failure. Socket gets removed and no replacement, so the incomplete illuminator goes surplus. Retrofitting another socket into that space would be tricky because of the way they slide precisely into a porcelain sleeve. If the porcelain sleeve was removed entrely another style of small pin socket, perhaps one of the mica types such as are used on the 410 could squeeze in there on a custom bracket but the HLX 64250 watt bulb is too long to fit vertically or horizontally in the bulb well and it will still have to mount at 45° in order to center the filament.

Anyway, I have a few kicking around here plus some entirely functional illuminators. I am in Canada. Shipping to the U.S. will be about 20.00.
Thanks for the info and offer. I have already committed to dtsh and am confident that I can come up with a bulb mount. (If I fail in my attempt, I'll contact you.) Thanks again!