Spencer Auxillary Substage Condenser

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
J_WISC

Spencer Auxillary Substage Condenser

#1 Post by J_WISC » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:04 am

Hello.

I'm looking for a Spencer auxillary substage condenser for a Spencer No. 5 Research Microscope; please see below. I've tried Googling. I'm not quite ready to buy, but curious if there's one out there. Can someone please direct me to a source of parts like this ...

Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 6.48.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 6.48.03 PM.png (252.79 KiB) Viewed 1803 times

Thank you.

apochronaut

Re: Spencer Auxillary Substage Condenser

#2 Post by apochronaut » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:06 pm

Good luck on that one. I have only ever seen one available on ebay after years of looking. It was found complete with the 1.4 N.A. achromat aplanat main condenser by a dumpster diver behind a facility in Toronto. Probably tossed in a cleanup. I believe it only works on that specific condenser adapted to the #5. Are you actually outfitting a #5?

J_WISC

#3 Post by J_WISC » Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:48 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:06 pm
Are you actually outfitting a #5?
Yes. Sort of. I'm looking for parts for a 1944 Spencer 5LRH. The microscope was coated with a huge amount of dust and dirt, the parts barely or not moving. I thought the chrome was corroded, but it was firmly attached dirt. (I asked about the binocular head in a different forum. There were two in the box. Now I know why one was almost pristine; someone must have dropped it and bought a replacement. The one coated with dirt appears okay, once I loosened up the eyepiece adjustment slider.)

I believe I've got it working, but I'm not motivated to invest a ton of money. Also, still have to assess the quality of the lenses. Three parts are an issue ... First, there's an adjustment for oblique lighting, but the mechanism doesn't fully deploy. I'm going to leave it as is! The iris diaphragm just above it is good. Second, the fine focus for the condenser is stuck. Not sure this is important for me. (Fine focus for condenser and weight nearly 20 pounds suggest it is a 5LRH.) Third, the auxillary substage condenser is missing. I might be done. Time to move on to assessing the quality of the images. But thought I'd check wether there are condenser parts out there.

Here is the condenser ...
IMG_3262_reduced.jpg
IMG_3262_reduced.jpg (59.91 KiB) Viewed 1723 times
IMG_3264_reduced.jpg
IMG_3264_reduced.jpg (52.57 KiB) Viewed 1723 times
IMG_3277_reduced.jpg
IMG_3277_reduced.jpg (46.73 KiB) Viewed 1723 times

By the way, does someone know whether SL.TH.1.25 refers to slide thickness?

apochronaut

#4 Post by apochronaut » Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:56 pm

Yes. sl.th means slide thickness. 1.25mm was a more standard thickness at one time. Now it is 1.0mm.

I am a little confused about the condenser. The 1.3 you show has only an oblique diaphragm problem but otherwise works?
Did the microsocope come with apochromats?

J_WISC

#5 Post by J_WISC » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:27 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:56 pm
I am a little confused about the condenser. The 1.3 you show has only an oblique diaphragm problem but otherwise works?
The standard iris diaphragm works, but the oblique diaphragm barely starts to block the light path. Only one leaf emerges. According to the image in the catalogue, there should be three overlapping leaves.
Screen Shot 2023-02-05 at 3.16.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-05 at 3.16.49 PM.png (311.05 KiB) Viewed 1716 times

I'm almost certain the microscope has achromats. 30mm, 4mm, and 1.8 mm (oil). No other markings suggest apochromats.

apochronaut

#6 Post by apochronaut » Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:35 pm

J_WISC wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:27 pm
apochronaut wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:56 pm
The standard iris diaphragm works, but the oblique diaphragm barely starts to block the light path. Only one leaf emerges. According to the image in the catalogue, there should be three overlapping leaves.

Screen Shot 2023-02-05 at 3.16.49 PM.png

I'm almost certain the microscope has achromats. 30mm, 4mm, and 1.8 mm (oil). No other markings suggest apochromats.
That is correct, 3 leaves. The two I have seen both had a similar problem. One had sustained wear but was repairable by building up some material with silver solder The other was restricted by resistance in the mechanism, so the rotary control could not be moved fully.
You have a potentially valuable instrument for very sophisticated imaging. I can provide you with some repair input. You might find the oblique diaphragm very useful.
Yes the objectives sound like standard achromats but older ones than the instrument. No doubt the original apochromats have been pilfered. They would be distinguishable by their gold plating. If your objectives have only the focal length on them, they are probably pre 1914. Can you post an image of them?
Many of the very old objectives are very good.
Last edited by apochronaut on Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

J_WISC

#7 Post by J_WISC » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:35 am

apochronaut wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:35 pm
Can you post an image if them?
I emailed photos of the objectives. Otherwise, it might require starting another topic.

apochronaut

#8 Post by apochronaut » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:36 am

Those are the standard achromats they used in the 40's. I have never seen them with no magnification indicated on the barrels. 44X and 95X are normally stamped near the tip.
I forgot about the problem with the condenser fine focus. That is likely a hardened grease issue. Have you tried letting a bit of penetrating oil into the shaft bearing area? Many times I have found that to be where the seizure occurs, especially if the shaft travels through a long sleeve.

lorez2

#9 Post by lorez2 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:06 am

I would like to see a couple of photos of the 1944 Spencer 5LRH.

I recently was given a #5 microscope that was in absolutely horrible condition. I completely disassembled it (with exception of the prisms in the binocular body) and over the course of a week, or so, was able to carefully clean and check every part. I was very encouraged that when cleaned and reassembled it worked perfectly in every aspect. There was no damage to any of the finishes or lens surfaces even though I have rarely encountered one that was in such miserable condition. I have also not seen one that turned out so well.

lorez
Nikon 80i