ISO decent used stereoscope for CA colleague

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
Kinetochore

ISO decent used stereoscope for CA colleague

#1 Post by Kinetochore » Fri May 05, 2023 9:20 pm

Have a lovely colleague in BC Canada who is even more a microscopy noob than I am

He needs a stereoscope for research documentation where image quality is critical. Trinocular would be nice, but quality optics are more important

Reluctant to recommend buying used off ebay as it's hard to ensure optics are good and unit's not dirty

Good, cheap and clean. Hoping to get him all three.

If anyone's upgrading or has a cherished spare they're wondering whether to part with, I can absolutely guarantee it'll be well cared for and properly stored. Or has any recommended vendors in the BC area

cheers K

Scarodactyl

Re: ISO decent used stereoscope for CA colleague

#2 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri May 05, 2023 9:55 pm

What type of budget are we talking? If image quality in particular is critical a stereo is rarely the right option.

MikeBradley

#3 Post by MikeBradley » Fri May 05, 2023 11:49 pm

The only source of quality used microscopes in BC that I'm aware of is Markarian Fine Optics 1481 Kingsway, Vancouver. They are primarily a telescope vendor but they do always have a couple of shelves of microscopes, of various types, on display. They do know the subject and have the technical skills to service and maintain. I purchased my primary instrument from them (BH2) and various accessories and have always been satisfied with the service.
Michael
Olympus BH2,
AO110
Carl Zeiss Standard WL
Canon 90D

Kinetochore

#4 Post by Kinetochore » Sat May 06, 2023 4:24 am

Thanks- I'll direct my mate to the Vancouver shop if it's convenient for him.

They'll probably be able to assess his requirements more effectively than I can and if there are better options for imaging he can discuss it with locals. It's kinda tricky to be recommending hardware to someone overseas when I don't have much experience of it myself