Microstar IV (410) trinocular and binocular head

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
dtsh

Microstar IV (410) trinocular and binocular head

#1 Post by dtsh » Wed May 10, 2023 1:19 am

I need room in my overcrowded work area for some other things, so I need to get some of the extraneous bulky items gone to make room for other extraneous items.
I have a spare bino head for a Microstar IV (410), it's in excellent shape optically and cosmetically, but since I've settled on the 34mm infinity system it isn't necessary. In addition to the spare bino head, I have a trinocular head for the 410, also in excellent optical and good cosmetic shape. It's got an eyetube from another 410 mounted in a 3D printed adapter with a helical focuser that goes with it. Easy to remove if you don't want it, but it's there if you do and I have no use for it without the head. As an aside, I'm pretty sure I still have the model, so if someone out there wants an STL of it, let me know and I'll make it available. I'd like to get $200.00 for the trinocular and $75 for the bino.
One of the pics shows some 181 eyepieces in it, those are NOT included (can be, but they're not in perfect shape and you've probably already got a pair)

I do trade if you've got something that interests me. Most of my equipment is AO 34mm infinity gear, but mosquito, fly, or canine related stuff (within the grander realm of microscopy) might interest me as might entomology stuff in general (I have many hobbies, try me).

See the images to see the cosmetic issues.
410_tri_1.jpg
410_tri_1.jpg (99.32 KiB) Viewed 726 times
410_tri_2.jpg
410_tri_2.jpg (83.71 KiB) Viewed 726 times
410_tri_3.jpg
410_tri_3.jpg (127.43 KiB) Viewed 726 times
410_tri_4.jpg
410_tri_4.jpg (60.31 KiB) Viewed 726 times
410_tri_5.jpg
410_tri_5.jpg (59.03 KiB) Viewed 726 times

PeteM

Re: Microstar IV (410) trinocular and binocular head

#2 Post by PeteM » Wed May 10, 2023 2:10 am

Dtsh, can you let us know, did your adaptation of an extra 410 eyepiece resolve the chromatic aberration problems we've talked about before on Microbe Hunter? I'm curious how you used it for photography and what success you may have had.

It seems a clever possibility and the trinocular head itself should be a welcome deal for someone regardless.

dtsh

#3 Post by dtsh » Wed May 10, 2023 2:55 am

PeteM wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 2:10 am
Dtsh, can you let us know, did your adaptation of an extra 410 eyepiece resolve the chromatic aberration problems we've talked about before on Microbe Hunter? I'm curious how you used it for photography and what success you may have had.

It seems a clever possibility and the trinocular head itself should be a welcome deal for someone regardless.
That setup was primarily for use with phase contrast and I didn't get it to produce images I liked with phase, but it seemed to perform well with the objectives in brightfield. I'm pretty sure this post was with this particular setup; howver the images were converted to greyscale. I don't know I would consider my opinion in this regard particularly valuable as I was and still am learning how to do decent imaging. I couldn't figure out why it would take good images in brightfield, but phase was always very poor, yet I didn't seem to have that issue with the 34mm infinity. I am sure the error was on my part, but as I was consolidating on the AO10 I wasn't very motivated to resolve the conflict. Perhaps whomever acquires it will have greater motivation and be able to add more valuable input.

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Wed May 10, 2023 3:18 am

Thanks.

apochronaut

#5 Post by apochronaut » Fri May 12, 2023 11:40 am

If you are talking about what lens to use as a photo relay lens, the AO # 145 eyepiece works perfectly. It gives a fully corrected flat field and can easily fill the frame of an APS-C sensor with a corner to corner 20mm visual field.