[Sold] Nikon E400 - Phase contrast microscope [Now w. pictures]

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
erikwetterskog

[Sold] Nikon E400 - Phase contrast microscope [Now w. pictures]

#1 Post by erikwetterskog » Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:21 am

Hello,

It is time for me to sell my Nikon E400, as I have moved into the Olympus camp and must get rid of 2 out of 4 stands. The mancave is only small enough for 2. I purchased it as a kit from the original buyer, who was a private healthcare practitioner i Sweden. I don't want to break up this microscope in parts, so I am offering it as a complete package for a lucky buyer. This is a beautiful microscope, not a banged up surplus unit.

Everything moves as it should, nosepiece clicks nicely. Easy to adjust Köhler, apertures and phase stops. No missing screws. The stand itself is in a beautiful condition. The microscope is ideal for the observation of pond critters and I have used it extensively for photomicrography. It also has the simple polarisation analyser, so you can view samples in cross-polarized light etc.

The only addition that has been made by me is a 20x Plan APO. The microscope is in very good condition overall. There is some dust, but it functions like a charm. Just assemble, plug in and you're off to a running start.

Included are:
--------------
Nikon E400 stand
Trinocular head with 10x eyepieces and top cap.
1x Simple polariser attachment with original rotable polariser to put on top of field lens
1x Riser plate
Phase contrast condenser (Dry 0.9) - Has some minor scratching on front lens, but does not impart any quality loss in my opinion. Ph1-Ph3 stops + Dark field, C and A.
Phototube with place for a photo eyepiece (not included)
--------------
Objectives (all positions filled):
4x Plan (gold barrel)
10x Plan Ph1 (gold barrel)
20x Plan APO (Fantastic objective! Great for DF!)
40x Plan Ph2 (gold barrel)
100x Plan Ph3 (gold barrel)

All objectives are in like new cosmetic condition, except the Plan APO, which as a dent on the spring loaded cast (otherwise beautiful condition). Spring loads work perfect on all objectives.

Only issue is some coating damage on the 40x front lens. It works fine but image contrast is lowered.
--------------
Original manual and bill of purchase for all parts. Ships from Sweden at buyers expense or local pickup in Stockolm.

Pictures:

https://e.pcloud.link/publink/show?code ... o88BAAoGOy

Price $1500 OBO + Paypal fees + Shipping from Sweden. (Same price I gave). Will package well in double boxes.
Last edited by erikwetterskog on Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nikon S-Ke - Old goodie
Olympus CX40 - Fluorescence [Selling]
Olympus BX61 - Phase contrast, DIC, fluorescence [Work-in-progress]

apochronaut

Re: FS: Nikon E400 - Phase contrast microscope

#2 Post by apochronaut » Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:30 pm

I may be out of touch with the value of microscopes these days but this seems like a particularly good price for a phase contrast microscope outfitted the way it is.

erikwetterskog

#3 Post by erikwetterskog » Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:16 pm

Hello,

Thanks I hope so. I specifically am not interested in turning a profit here. If you ask me, I think it is sad that many kits are broken down in pieces. It is a hassle to try and assemble a complete system microscope at times.

If the microscope doesn't sell here, I will turn to eBay.

But I would much prefer that it ends up with a person on the forum. The only reason I'm selling is that I recently became the owner of a BX61. This microscope fills the same role, and is of similar vintage and I am literally swimming in microscope parts at the moment. Perhaps a significant investment for a beginner, it would be a microscope that you can use right away, don't need to upgrade and use with fantastic results.
Nikon S-Ke - Old goodie

PeteM

#4 Post by PeteM » Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:29 pm

The E400 is a wonderful microscope. One hopes that a European buyer will jump on this offer.

erikwetterskog

#5 Post by erikwetterskog » Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:57 pm

The microscope is no longer for sale (went on %Bay). Cheers.
Nikon S-Ke - Old goodie

erikwetterskog

#6 Post by erikwetterskog » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:12 pm

Well, I realized due to a lot of issues with eBay I had to abandon the idea. For starters I don't have the selling limits to put this and other items up, so the microscope is up here again! :D

The price is still the same, but here are some images, I hope that these can tempt someone to go for it!

https://e.pcloud.link/publink/show?code ... o88BAAoGOy

PS. If anyone has any ideas on somewhere else to try and sell this. I checked and registered at mikroskopieforum.de, but I'm not sure they have a selling section (I don't have Facebook).
Nikon S-Ke - Old goodie

apochronaut

Re: FS: Nikon E400 - Phase contrast microscope [Now w. pictures]

#7 Post by apochronaut » Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:10 am

One great thing about Nikon is that in China and India , the new high end microscopes used domestically are Nikon system based. It is called NIS60 or Nikon Infinity System 60, the latter number stating the parfocal length. There is also an NIS45 but much less developed.
What this means is that there are an increasing number of elite optics available made in China or by Seiwa ( the source for India ), that can be used to upgrade the E400 that are much less expensive than Nikon objectives.

karhukainen

Re: FS: Nikon E400 - Phase contrast microscope [Now w. pictures]

#8 Post by karhukainen » Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:12 pm

I feel very very tempted to hop on a ferry to Stockholm (greetings from Finland). Did you use the setup for photography and if yes, do you have any examples? By the way, I can't open all the images behind your link.
Nikon Labophot