Discontinued: Blade holder

Have a problem finding shops that sell specific materials? Ask here. Are you looking for microscope parts? Do you have anything to offer for sale? Note: this is not a section for external companies to advertise their products.
MicroBob

Discontinued: Blade holder

#1 Post by MicroBob » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:53 pm

Hi together,
no longer on offer, I don't find the time for coping with the international shipping any more.

Bob
Last edited by MicroBob on Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PeteM

Re: For sale: Blade holder for the hand / cylinder / table microtome

#2 Post by PeteM » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:09 pm

Bob -- clever design with the counter-support, two windows, elevated blade, and Teflon gliding surface. Thanks for showing and sharing it.

Hobbyst46

#3 Post by Hobbyst46 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:44 pm

Hi Bob, this is an amazing design - especially the counter-force plate IMO!
Please explain, how is the thickness of the cutting determined ? what prevents the blade from hitting the grey counter-force plate? I understand that the blade holder glides on the microtome base plate, towards the stem ? is that a "standard" hand microtome or can it be of any form ?

MicroBob

blade holder

#4 Post by MicroBob » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:39 pm

Bob
Last edited by MicroBob on Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

MicroBob

blade holder

#5 Post by MicroBob » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:20 am

Here a nice looking hand microtome is on offer: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wolfe-Cylind ... nav=SEARCH
Last edited by MicroBob on Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hobbyst46

#6 Post by Hobbyst46 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:59 am

Many thanks for the explanation and info, Bob.

janvangastel

#7 Post by janvangastel » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:52 pm

This looks like a non-expensive, simple one. And good for that price I think (without any experience) http://www.brunelmicroscopes.co.uk/benchmicrotome.html

MicroBob

blade holder

#8 Post by MicroBob » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:11 pm

Hi Jan,
than you for pointing it out, this looks as if it could be quite well made. A table clamp is really valuable an already included. Brunel seems to be unsure what it is though: On one page they write of stainless steel, on the other of anodized steel, the graduations are one time 20µ, one time 2µ - a kind of surprise package! :roll:

Here it would be nice to find someone who can give short evaluation from his own experiences. ;)

Bob
Last edited by MicroBob on Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrsonchus

#9 Post by mrsonchus » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:58 am

Hi, yes I have this exact hand-microtome, bought from Brunel Microscopes - from whom I've bought much equipment and even new microscope since I started microscopy some 5 years ago now. They're thoroughly trustworthy and always helpful. The best way to contact them is by 'phone.

I don't really use mine now as I progressed onto permanently-mounted slide making sectioned with a rotary microtome, but I did make a video demostrating it in action, and if you search this forum you'll find my posts using this actual machine....

Here's a link to my video demo of this nice little microtome...

Would I recommend this one for hand microtomy - unfortunately no.... This 'tome is very well made and totally solid - the drive is also lovely with click-stop feedback (yes I'd estimate at least 20µ thick but who knows - not particularly important anyway with hand sections where the technique and quality of the sections is paramount over thickness)....

Why would I not recommend this one - one single but important point - this has no means of clamping the specimen into the cylinder. In my demo I had to cast wax around the specimens to hold them. The cylinder is pretty wide but you could use the carrot-clamp method. My preference though would be one with the clamping 'jaws' within the cylinder as I think this would be easier and have greater flexibility...

But, the build and operation quality is superb - simply put I have a preference for the clamped specimen type. Quality and price to me is 100% good, as are BM the seller, with whom I have no connections whatsoever other than as a multiple, long-term satisfied customer.
John B

MicroBob

blade holder

#10 Post by MicroBob » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:00 pm

Bob