Worms from Europe

Post articles here that do not fit into other categories. I may add more categories to accommodate these posts.
Dennis

Worms from Europe

#1 Post by Dennis » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:56 pm

I saw at a website that said that Earth worms are not native to North America but we brought them from Europe.

This website said something different and similar-
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithson ... 180958094/
It states-
No. Earthworms are native to the United States, says Melissa McCormick, ecologist at the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center, but the earthworms in some northern parts of the country (including Vermont) aren’t indigenous. Thousands of years ago, glaciers that covered North America and reached as far south as present-day Illinois, Indiana and Ohio wiped out native earthworms. Species from Europe and Asia, most likely introduced unintentionally in ship ballast or the roots of imported plants, have spread throughout North America.

I knew cockroaches and rats were brought here by the ships from Europe.
The Japanese Beetle was a biggie from Asia. Now recently it is Stink Bugs and Spotted Lantern Flies in the U.S.

BramHuntingNematodes

Re: Worms from Europe

#2 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:56 pm

Don't forget the Joro spiders, which have completely infiltrated my part of the state
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination

Dennis

Re: Worms from Europe

#3 Post by Dennis » Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:50 pm

BramHuntingNematodes,

I'll look them up on web. Stink Bugs they made a big thing about the first year or so but
I see them rarely. The Japanese Lantern Flies, if I take a walk down the railroad tracks I will usually see them.
And the spotted lantern flies are in my yard etc.. They say on TV News we are to kill them if we see them because they are not supposed to be here!

I looked it up- Joro spiders. I never saw any of those in New Jersey.