I got tossed.....

Post articles here that do not fit into other categories. I may add more categories to accommodate these posts.
Planetary Paul

I got tossed.....

#1 Post by Planetary Paul » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:21 am

Hi, I'm new here, so I set about composing an introductory post. I did a lot of research, adding stuff to the post along the way. Then, when I was about to finish the post, I was told to log in, in order to be able to post. All the work of hours had been deleted.

So, can I at least get a warning before I am kicked off?
What is the time-out for this?
Can drafts be saved automatically?

I realise it is an old trap I stumbled into. I should of course have composed off-line, but it still is very annoying......

MickH

Re: I got tossed.....

#2 Post by MickH » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:11 am

Hello Paul, that’s very frustrating. I lost a post for what, I now think, must have been a similar reason. I can’t offer you any insight as to time outs but I can offer my sympathy.

Don’t let it put you off.
Aging novice.

mrsonchus

#3 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:55 am

Hi Paul, yes I bet we've all had this at some tome, makes you feel like gnawing your own arm off!

My std practice now is to 'duplicate tab' as I go, sticking to the leftmost tab of the edit and simply making a new duplicate when I think I've added new content that I don't want to lose and reapeat all over again. Ever tima a duplicate tab (of the forum edit you're working on) is made it's added as the next along on the right of the current one that your working on. I just delete the duplicate before that new one and tend to stick to just the working one and one duplicate as my safety-net!

This works really well, as before this I regularly lost edits as I simply made mistakes with the forum buttons or just plain became disoriented as is easy to do when editing....

Give this method a try it really does work. Long text can also be copied then pasted into a newly created plain text document perhaps on you desktop as a backup - best with just text if there's a lot of it. The duplicate-tab is a real saviour though! Just right-click the tab your going to duplicate and select 'duplicate tab' (for windows and chrome that is).
John B

Planetary Paul

#4 Post by Planetary Paul » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:40 pm

Thanks for the comments guys.

I think I'll stick to regularly doing select-all/copy for simple posts and off-line composing for more extensive subject matter.

BTW, here is some QX5-fun from many years ago. Very lo-res, but still a nice view of a Daphnia eye. I especially like the cells surrounding the eye itself. I haven't seen this anywhere else or in educational models: https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0h ... EB88F73BCD

I think I made this one with a Bodelin ProScope:https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0h ... 90C076001D
The rest are from a QX5.

I didn't get tossed this time ;-)

Planetary Paul

#5 Post by Planetary Paul » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:47 pm

And I just found a video showing the cells surrounding the eye: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh7noBvNkbQ :-)

Challenger007

#6 Post by Challenger007 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:09 am

Long, meaningful posts are best written in a notebook. Or when logging in, check the "remember me" checkbox. Then it should not be thrown out of the forum in theory.

Placozoa

#7 Post by Placozoa » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:53 am

Back button, select all, copy. Make a new post, paste. Im pretty sure thats what I do. I have had this happen several times and its such a minor inconvenience that I dont even care. I have never permanently lost a long/researched post or I would remember.