Diatoms and homicide.

Post articles here that do not fit into other categories. I may add more categories to accommodate these posts.

Wes

Re: Diatoms and homicide.

#2 Post by Wes » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:55 pm

Very morbid, interesting nontheless. I find it cool that you can link a specific crime scene locale to the species identified during a forensic pathology investigation.
Zeiss Photomicroscope III BF/DF/Pol/Ph/DIC/FL/Jamin-Lebedeff
Youtube channel

Sabatini

#3 Post by Sabatini » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:30 pm

Wes wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:55 pm
Very morbid, interesting nontheless. I find it cool that you can link a specific crime scene locale to the species identified during a forensic pathology investigation.
https://indianexpress.com/article/expla ... 4656/lite/

Rossf

#4 Post by Rossf » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:45 pm

Cool topic sabatini-One odd statement in the first article -I didn’t think there was such a thing as “post mortem drowning”-either someone drowned (wether foul play was involved or not) or they were murdered and thrown in water post mortem-or maybe died of heart attack and fell in water etc-we had a horrific murder case in Australia involving a toddler-he was found in Blue rock dam about an hour from where I live-if you are interested wiki page below
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Jaidyn_Leskie
The police found this guys clothes and wallet saturated with pond water and I’ve always wondered if they tested these items for microbes indigenous to that particular dam and of course was the poor kid still alive while in the water -Perpetrator had krafty underworld serving lawyer that planted enough (un)reasonable doubt that he didn’t get convicted-Australia is currently modifying double jeopardy laws because of this case in particular.
Regards

Sabatini

#5 Post by Sabatini » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:51 am

Yes indeed Rossf, a very important and neglected area. This forensic technique through its meticulous procedure opens a window for investigators to collect accurate and valid evidence before a jury. The offender or murderer fails to take these details into account when committing his crime.
Here is how something so simple and logical could have been overlooked in the past and could be of great help in unsolved cases.

Rossf

#6 Post by Rossf » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:52 pm

Not only that Sabatini but COVID has shown that even viruses can be genetically’profiled’ and indicates was it COVID from Spain,or America or that cruise ship that stupid governments (ie Australia) let disembark leading to a 6 month level 5 lockdown for an entire city (Melbourne)-those microbes on the wallet and money could now probably be genetically proven to have come from that particular dam in that horrible case-so the amended double jeopardy laws allows a retry only if new compelling evidence (usually DNA based) comes to light-I just hope they reopen the case with this technology-that small town is still traumatised over 20 years on-those crimes can even lead to intergenerational trauma when people close to the victims develop PTSD and start to neglect their own children not out of bad intensions but the parents now have serious mental health issues from the experience.
I’m into true crime aspect of microscopes not for ghoulish reasons-I just like to ,keep up with how scopes can achieve justice for the perpetrator as well as a small amount of relief for the family-at least they know the truth...it’s the not knowing that destroys marriages and entire families with these type of crimes.interesting conversation.
Take care,ross

Challenger007

#7 Post by Challenger007 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:09 am

Sabatini wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:51 am
Yes indeed Rossf, a very important and neglected area. This forensic technique through its meticulous procedure opens a window for investigators to collect accurate and valid evidence before a jury. The offender or murderer fails to take these details into account when committing his crime.
Here is how something so simple and logical could have been overlooked in the past and could be of great help in unsolved cases.
Well this is subject to proper research. Otherwise it doesn't make sense. But as practice shows, the forensic medical examination thoroughly studies everything only in serials.

elvis_saya

#8 Post by elvis_saya » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:39 am

I like watching Forensic Files. This reminded me of an episode (S02E12) wherein diatoms were crucial to the identification of the perpetrator. Here's it free on YT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwXdwqH2M3w